Author Topic: FPGAs For Litecoin Discussion  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Smoothie

• VIP Donator
  • Lealana Physical Litecoins - Silver/Brass
FPGAs For Litecoin Discussion
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »
FPGAs for litecoin sounds like the next step in mining hardware. Given that ASICs for litecoin would be way too expensive to manufacture for years to come.

Some links to read (which I'm reading). I don't know everything nor do I claim. Discussion is essential if we ever think mining hardware for litecoins will ever go further than GPUs.

http://powerprice.info/docs/Maxfield,_Clive_-_The_Design_Warrior's_Guide_to_FPGAs;_Devices,_Tools_and_Flows_(2004).pdf

http://tristesse.org/FPGA/CheapFPGADevelopmentBoards

http://www.ztex.de/usb-fpga-1/usb-fpga-1.15y.e.html

I'm still trying to figure out how you can attach external memory (RAM) to an FPGA to allow for Scrypt to run efficiently enough to mine litecoins.

Still learning... ;D

Start mining with your Gridseed asic tomorrow!
For all your mining needs - Hash Master Technology. Over 10,000 units sold.
Take a look around at Hash-Master.com!

Offline koalahauff

Re: FPGAs For Litecoin Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 10:57:05 PM »
It would be cool to see someone get an FPGA board mining litecoin doesn't matter how many kh/s. It would allow for expansion.

Offline nethead

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 12:07:04 AM »
i dont get the reason why someone would buy an fpga, while with the same amount of money can build another rig
EDIT: k, any other reason except power consumption

Offline DiCE1904

• Donator
  • legit
    • LTCDice
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:12:00 AM »
i dont get the reason why someone would buy an fpga, while with the same amount of money can build another rig

power
heat
room/space

Offline koalahauff

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:36:13 AM »
Less power = more profit, but obviously it will take some time seeing it costs well over a new rig to have enough ram on board to get good kh/s

Offline mill0601

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »
So I have a dell blade with 6 fpga's having 512mb ram each anyone have any ideas on how to get that mining litecoins?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:51:56 PM by mill0601 »

Offline Magnate

• Bling My Bike
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 05:38:19 AM »
What FGPAs does the blade have? How much did that setup cost?

How critical is ram speed for litecoin mining? Typically I've noticed that maxing out the ram speed/volume makes more difference than GPU speed.

So to FPGA mining you'd need a lot of high speed ram, and DDR5 that is used in video cards is not available in DIMMs.

So it strikes me that you'd need a custom board developed with say a spartan 6 and plenty of DDR5. So the price isn't going to be that cheap, and the DDR5 will still use plenty of power. But then when you consider a 6990 uses 300watts, and a 7970 used 350watts, you have a fair power window to work with.

The cost and power saving would come from optimizing the amount of DDR5 you use per FPGA. However video card manufacturers have economy of scale. Would it really be cost effective??

I like the idea of having a PCI-E board developed with an FPGA to mine lite coin. You could build a system that takes 4 boards, and it would be awesome if each board had 2 FPGAs. Nice dream huh.

Offline thedanielforum

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 01:49:58 AM »
I'm actually working on designing a fpga miner for litecoin right now im son done with the hardware side, But its the software that takes time.

So if anyone is god at HDL, Verilog fpga programming please contact me.  :D

Offline erk

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »
I'm actually working on designing a fpga miner for litecoin right now im son done with the hardware side, But its the software that takes time.

So if anyone is god at HDL, Verilog fpga programming please contact me.  :D

Which FPGA did you decide to use?

Offline fullmetaldg

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 09:42:40 PM »
There is no VRAMs faster than the GPU ones.... there isn't any faster on the world...