Author Topic: Mining BTC and LTC Noob Question  (Read 2684 times)

Offline doeiqts

Mining BTC and LTC Noob Question
« on: March 06, 2013, 04:56:21 AM »
Can't seem to find a straight answer that I'm looking for. Sorry if I've just overlooked it.

I've been mining BTC for a while now and keep hearing more about mining LTC at the same time. Finally getting around to looking into it, but I can't seem to find an answer to whether you can actually mine BTC and LTC at the same time on the same hardware?

If someone could answer that and, if the answer is you can, suggest your favorite gui mining software (can you still use the mining option in the client? BTC took that out forever ago. Does the LTC client still use CPU mining?) and favorite pool to mine with (if you even mine in pools with LTC?).

Sorry for such basic questions but my searches weren't turning up much useful information.

Offline weex

• Administrator
  • Donator
    • LitecoinMiningCalculator.com
Re: Mining BTC and LTC Noob Question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 10:00:15 AM »
If you are switching to LTC with your GPU, your CPU will obviously be useless for BTC and I think it's not recommended for mining with while the GPU(s) are running. This is what I've picked up over the past few days though I don't mine myself. Good luck!

Offline Carnth

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Litecoin Association Member
  • Litecoin Association
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 07:21:53 PM »
I've been mining BTC for a while now and keep hearing more about mining LTC at the same time. Finally getting around to looking into it, but I can't seem to find an answer to whether you can actually mine BTC and LTC at the same time on the same hardware?

Quick answer to your question: No.

More Detail:
You can not mine BTC and LTC on the same hardware. If you are thinking something like merged mining, it will never happen. BTC and LTC use different mining algorithms, so this just can't happen.

However, I think it is possible to mine BTC and LTC on the same computer using different GPUs, but I have never heard this being done before.
Mining LTC on the CPU while mining BTC on the GPU is very doable as it is something that I have actually done before.

Offline Bitobsessed

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 02:23:49 PM »
Before there was GPU mining for Litecoin, I think you could mine BTC on the GPU and LTC on the CPU at the same time.

Offline weex

• Administrator
  • Donator
    • LitecoinMiningCalculator.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:51:19 PM »
I wonder if there'll be an even "liter" coin coming out later that needs like 4gb of ram to mine.

Offline CryptoJunky

• CryptoJunky
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 07:43:02 PM »
It is possible to mine Bitcoin with a GPU while mining Litecoin with your CPU, but it is not recommended. If you do decide to go this route do not mine with all cores of your CPU, leave at least one to manage your OS's actual tasks.

I've tried this out before, mining litecoin on my CPU (i7 quad core w/hyperthreading ~8 cores) and saw problems if I didn't leave at least 2 cores unchecked from LTC mining.

Either way, you won't get much with your CPU anymore, better to just stick with one coin at a time.