Author Topic: Want to build mining rig, help needed  (Read 5750 times)

Offline Yoodles

Want to build mining rig, help needed
« on: March 15, 2013, 06:49:51 PM »
I have approx 6g I want to invest to get a few mining rigs up and running. Looking for tips if you guys were going to build your ideal rig what would you put in it? Looking for specifics because I don't even know where to start. Currently just built stand to place motherboard and PSU's on. Hoping to build 2-3 units depending on price.

Offline HauntingShade

• Global Moderator
Re: Want to build mining rig, help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 07:27:06 PM »
Question one: where do you live and do you have cheap electricity available in comparison to others?
Question two: do you have lots of space?

If you have cheap electricity: buy massive amounts of hashrate in the form of 6950's. Build pc's for ~$100, a PSU for ~$100-150 and buy lots of 6950's for aprox. $120 each. Use a maximum of 4 cards per 'pc'.
If you don't have cheap electricity: make sure you reserve some of that money for your power bill. Maybe switch to 7950's and 7970's.

For $6000 you can build aprox. 7 of these machines. 7 * 4cards * ~400KH/s/card = 11+ GH/s
Slamming scammers 24/7

Offline Yoodles

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 07:59:52 PM »
Question one: where do you live and do you have cheap electricity available in comparison to others?
Question two: do you have lots of space?

If you have cheap electricity: buy massive amounts of hashrate in the form of 6950's. Build pc's for ~$100, a PSU for ~$100-150 and buy lots of 6950's for aprox. $120 each. Use a maximum of 4 cards per 'pc'.
If you don't have cheap electricity: make sure you reserve some of that money for your power bill. Maybe switch to 7950's and 7970's.

For $6000 you can build aprox. 7 of these machines. 7 * 4cards * ~400KH/s/card = 11+ GH/s

1. Electricity is fairly cheap located in Canada, doing this more so for a long term investment not going to be cashing out the coins I make just hoarding them.

2. Yes lots of space have an entire empty room in the basement

Was going to go with the 6950's but they are no longer available on Newegg so I'll have to go with 7950's. What Mobo would you recommend for the 7950's? As well as what would a good cheap CPU be for this build?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:17:05 PM by Yoodles »

Offline HauntingShade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
Is there no way you can buy second hand 6950's? It would be very very profitable.

The 7xxx series only has slightly better mining performance in comparison to the 6xxx series. The 6950's are very cheap for what they give you. Besides that, hashrate/Watt is almost the same for a 7950 as a 6950.

You can take any light and cheap AMD 64-bit CPU with 1GB of RAM.

I don't have any idea of a good mobo for such AMD cpu atm. Other users might answer this  ;)
Slamming scammers 24/7

Offline Yoodles

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 09:41:53 PM »
Is there no way you can buy second hand 6950's? It would be very very profitable.

The 7xxx series only has slightly better mining performance in comparison to the 6xxx series. The 6950's are very cheap for what they give you. Besides that, hashrate/Watt is almost the same for a 7950 as a 6950.

You can take any light and cheap AMD 64-bit CPU with 1GB of RAM.

I don't have any idea of a good mobo for such AMD cpu atm. Other users might answer this  ;)

I'm going to look around so far I can't find any online, I'm going to check Ebay for them. If anyone has any input for a good Mobo or CPU they would specifically recommend I'd greatly appreciate it.

Any help would be much appreciated from you guys, I'll even name one of the rigs after you if you can give me enough input to get these things going!

Offline DiCE1904

• Donator
  • legit
    • LTCDice
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 11:46:56 PM »
I would get a cheap MB and a cheap CPU and stack 6990s on it

Offline Yoodles

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 01:34:30 AM »
I would get a cheap MB and a cheap CPU and stack 6990s on it

Any specifics? Whatever I go with it has to be compatible with the GPU

Also regarding the 5850, 6850, etc. all these models are no longer carried by any major distribution chain. Being as I'm located in Canada the likely hood of me finding one is slim to none. If I order from the States the shipping charge in itself will equal more than buying it new. I'm going to have to go with the 7850, specifically the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 OC 975MHZ 1GB 4.8GHZ. Hopefully it hashes as good as the 6850 which I'm sure it will.

So far two of my rigs are named, Dice and Shade
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:40:40 AM by Yoodles »

Offline HauntingShade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 03:07:52 PM »
Yes:
- cheap
- cheap
- cheap
- good working
- compatible with the CPU you use

;D ;D ;D ;D

But seriously. What you need is a motherboard with the number of PCI-Express slots equal to the amount of cards you want to use. Make sure you can use them AT THE SAME TIME. Some motherboards have 7 PCI-Express slots, but can only use 4 at the same time (for example).
Another very important note: the PCI-E speed DOES NOT MATTER! PCI-Express 1x for mining is as fast as 16x. A motherboard that has 6 PCI-Express 1x slots working simultaneously is more useful than a motherboard that can only use 2 PCI-Express 16x slots at the same time in your case  ;)

+1  :D

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 03:09:33 PM by HauntingShade »
Slamming scammers 24/7

Offline DiCE1904

• Donator
  • legit
    • LTCDice
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 03:38:31 PM »

Also regarding the 5850, 6850, etc. all these models are no longer carried by any major distribution chain. Being as I'm located in Canada the likely hood of me finding one is slim to none. If I order from the States the shipping charge in itself will equal more than buying it new. I'm going to have to go with the 7850, specifically the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 OC 975MHZ 1GB 4.8GHZ. Hopefully it hashes as good as the 6850 which I'm sure it will.

Thanks  ;D

The MBs I have been using in my rigs are all 
MSI 890FXA-GD70
The CPUs:
AMD Sempron 140 2.7GHz

Offline pug

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 01:01:37 AM »
last year I prefered AMD Systems,

this year I choose Intel

Intel Celeron G1610 build in GPU, more Power than AMD less energy (the 55W TDP isn't for Real its only marketing by Intel to sell their Low Power CPU's

(compare on my Gigabyte boards with AMD the CPU VRM need to be cooled by an Airflow especialy on an watercooled (CPU/Chipset/GPUonly) system for heating my Room without the noise a rig normally produce^^; on the Gigabyte Z77D3H the VRM is almost on room temperature)

Gigabyte Z77-D3H (5cards) or Gigabyte Z77X-D3H (6cards) less Energy than AMD (TDP Intel Z77 6,7W <> AMD RD970 13,6W; RD890 19,6W only Chipset)
(don't chose the Z77X-UP5 TH the x1 slots are behind an PEX8604 switch, I can't connect graphic cards their they won't be detected, network cards ... no problem)

Sapphire 6950 ; 11188-05-50G 40g 20g as far as I know they have a bios switch;  on position two this cards have 1536 shaders instead of 1408

PSU
Blade Center E PSU's I can get them cheap they have 1800 or 2000W a efficiency of max 91%, cables can easily be soldered                                            -only for the GPU's
Boards can be supplied by cheap Delta PSU with 24Pin ATX and P4 better P4&P8 ATX Power connector (P4 needs on some boards an Adapter to P4&P8 ) -only for CPU/Board/HDD,
or
Seasonic, Enermax they have 80+ Platinum PSU's for Europe you can choose Lepa (Enermax tech) I don't know if their are available on 115V

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:03:30 AM by pug »

Offline MKEGuy

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 03:10:15 AM »
Make sure you run all your calculations between all of the cards.  Now that I've had first hand experience with the 7970, I just dont see how the 6950 even compares.  I will say that if your electricity is cheap enough the difference becomes less noticeable.  But if you are truly looking to drop $6g into mining equipment, then that is only going to scale up your power bill - making that efficiency difference something to keep in mind again.  When you start undervolting the 7970, the efficiency figures are re-freakin-donkulous.   There is also the matter of reselling the GPU's when you are done with them.  In 12 months or so those 6950's are going to be virtually disposable.  Where as the 7970 will have made you more money, and you will be able to sell it for a pretty decent price still.

But, that's just my opinion.  ;D  Make sure that you run the numbers, then run them somre more.  When you think you have it all figured out - run them again! lol  I know the plan I had 6 months ago is nothing like the plan I ended up with.  I can tell you that my first plan based mostly on what people were teling me versus listening to what the math I was doing - I wouldn't be nearly as profitable as I am right now.

Make sure you invest in a Killawatt.  It will become your best friend.  Sure you can overclock and overvolt your card to the moon to get a great hash, but you need to look at the power your burning to make those lost few LTC to see if its really worth it.  You can quite literally end up burning 10 ltc in electricity a day just to get the last 5 ltc you "tuned" for.  All you care about is overall income, not overall hashpower!
If I helped you, please consider donating to the following address.  LNarfMNLyymkS9WYQFLcmr46AeMYNP8Qj2  ATTENTION LITECOIN MINERS!  Do not forget to donate to CKlovias if you are using CGMiner!  The man never receives any grattitude for the money he has enabled us to make!!!!

Offline sapsan

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 08:21:05 AM »
Gigabyte Z77-D3H (5cards) or Gigabyte Z77X-D3H (6cards) less Energy than AMD (TDP Intel Z77 6,7W <> AMD RD970 13,6W; RD890 19,6W only Chipset)
(don't chose the Z77X-UP5 TH the x1 slots are behind an PEX8604 switch, I can't connect graphic cards their they won't be detected, network cards ... no problem)

Why not AsRock H61DEL http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=h61del ?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:38:38 AM by sapsan »

Offline pumpbreaks

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 08:49:06 PM »
what would you get running 7 systems like that each day before any costs?

Offline shyliar

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 10:28:50 PM »

From the GIGABYTE Z77X-D3H manual:

* The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX1_1/2/3 slots. The PCIEX1_1/2/3
slots slots will become unavailable when a PCIe x4 expansion card is installed.
??

Hard to get 6 cards on a board that doesn't support it (might want to delete that misleading and impossible advice from your post). Additionally, although I did manage to get five cards loaded on that board it had an effect on the operation of the on-board network card which is also a pci-e device. Hard to mine when your network card doesn't work. That said it might be possible to get 5 cards on board but I settled for 4.

The motherboard manufacturers cut corners if they can. Although Gigabyte did mention it in their manual...so I guess you have to read the manual before you buy.

In the end I had 12 video cards on a custom aluminum frame 51" long to give proper room for air flow. I also have a 20 inch fan hanging from the ceiling. My advice if someone was about to build a rig.

- Order your riser cables on ebay today from china before you do anything else and order twice as many as you think you might need (because if your like me you'll build bigger and if not you can sell the other half and make a profit). You'll get them for about $2.25 each including delivery (takes about 2 to 3 weeks).
- I now think it's better to go with a good quality video card; definitely nothing from VisionTech. Spend the money and suffer less grief. I'm very pleased with my MSI cards.
- Buy good power supplies single rail...my kilawatt shows 690 watts on my rig with 3 7950s. Because I bought single rail it's running off a 850 watt power supply. A good one is usually underated by 10 percent.
- Read the motherboard manual before you buy (just what it says about the slots)
- dummy plugs are not needed (but if you buy 7900 series cards you won't even need to investigate that).
- Ask for discounts your buying enough stuff and they'll give them.

Build slow, enjoy and have fun. It was better for me to have a cold one near by.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:03:08 AM by shyliar »
Please support the Litecoin Dev team here https://litecointalk.org/index.php/topic,3874.0.html

Offline kupo2001

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 06:49:27 AM »
I can build you a headless rig NO HDD and it will pul a 2.1 Mhash on the LTC network and only use 1000w. For 6 grand I can make you 4~5 rigs. They are good on energy. thats 8-10 mHashes on LTC i know i saw someone offer 11Mhash but how much power does each rig use? For a slight better model rig I can make it pull roughly 3 Mhash on the same 1000w PSU. Let me know.