Author Topic: Need help to start mining CPUMINER on Windows XP Please  (Read 9957 times)

Offline counter

Need help to start mining CPUMINER on Windows XP Please
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:05:50 PM »
hey litcoiner's,  I'd like to start to mine litecoins I tried with cgminer and had a setback with help from a member hear.  So I'd like to try and mine with cpuminer and see if that's any easier.  I have windows xp and would really like someone in the know to help me get it setup(walk me threw the process).  This is all new to me and alot of what I read with coding or configuring stops me from jumping in even though it seems simple enough. 

Just had a hell of a time trying to get my phone settings changed and thought I bricked it but anyway that's sorted and I'm ready to start mining. Just need a push in the right direction,  I'm aware I won't be mining a ton with my cpu but I'd still like to get my feet wet while the getting is still good and get a better understanding of the process.  Also is it worth it to mine with my phone (Android)?  So please help, thanks.
Anything is Plenty, respect!
LcKZGwK815sj6AGHC3DD7Nem2bXXwc3ZBu

Offline Fallout

Re: Need help to start mining CPUMINER on Windows XP Please
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 08:09:51 PM »
Setting up CPU Miner is pretty easy. Do you want to solomine or poolmine? poolmining seems more useful with only a cpu ...

I can give you short instructions and help if you want to set it up.

Mining with your phone is propably not very useful either. I think the best results with phones that i have heard of are 5kH/s max.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:12:49 PM by Fallout »
BTC: 18b4FuDzMJnaaZK63tm5vLULUGd3YwSLu
LTC: LRr9CTjQxUo4nvW5UMWz2jMwBHJAKLvreR
FTC: 6hMioPvuzexjcNWJHuhqEySTzF3TiWLUBp
BBQ: bQRPD59v1aqvQAM7knuo7CG9QtiamnUjZi

Offline counter

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 09:31:49 PM »
cool glad to know it's pretty ez and ur willing to help I think I'll do a pool if it's the better option of the two feel free to post instructions here or pm, thank you!

Offline Fallout

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »
So you choose your pool and Register yourself. If you have already downloaded and unpacked pooler cpuminer, go to the Folder and create a shortcut to the .exe file.

Then go to its properties and into the line with "target" ... in the end of the line, add the following stuff:

-o http://pooladdress:poolport -O username:password

and if you desire, you can also add -q to reduce the amount of stuff which is Output by the miner.

Save it (click ok), and doubleclick the shortcut. It should connect to the pool and start mining

Offline counter

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 10:05:10 PM »
seems simple enough, I'm gonna attack this shortly after I get some things sorted.  I'm very glad I asked this or I'd just be spinning my wheels wondering.  Thanks for taking the time to help a newb out, means alot when u relatively clueless what to do next or what to expect.  I'll post here to let u konw my experience or if I've got any questions and  I hope to return the favor down the road my friend all the best.   :)

Offline Fallout

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 10:16:34 PM »
Yeah, the CPUminer is pretty easy. The GPU miner (cgminer and reaper) are a bit more complex, but still doable. The CPU Miner has almost no stuff to configure ;) ... if you do not want to utilize all of your cores you can also add -t N , where N is the amount of cores you want to use.

Offline counter

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 10:41:44 PM »
Very good to know, thanks ! 8)

Offline counter

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 03:48:43 AM »
well I should ask u and anyone else what is a good pool to use for my situation.  I'm unsure if it matters that  I use CPUMINER or say CGMINER when it comes to pools.
  It was suggested that I mine here http://ltcgapool.net:9327/static/ with CGMINER but I assume it would be fine if I used The CPUMINER instead is that true or false?

Offline Fallout

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 09:51:54 AM »
U should be able to use whatever miner you want to. But remember, mining with  your CPU only will most likely give you something under 50kH/s while even some older AMD Cards will give you >100kH/s. You can also Combine the miners, I am using Poolers CPU Mining for my CPU and Reaper for my GPU to increase the amount of hashes

Offline counter

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 06:47:09 PM »
well I think I did the shortcut right then lost connection which put things on hold but will update later when I know where I'm at, thanks for the info.

Offline counter

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
I keep geting this msg when I hit ok.  Anyone have a clue why that is and how to fix it.

I"m getting this msg....  "The name "'C:/Documents and Setting/Owner/Desktop/miner/minerd.exe"-o'specified in the Target box is not valid.  Make sure the path and file name are correct.

Another question I have is am I to put lower case -o  or a upper case -O?  Last but not least should I put a space between pool port and -O.  These questions came up as I was typing the in in target and now that i got the msg of path and file name incorrect I'm just putting all question out there.

This is how it was suggested I put the info.
-o http://pooladdress:poolport -O username:password

Offline Fallout

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 11:04:20 PM »
Ok ...

1. there should be a space after the " of minerd.exe" . That should resolve the error.
2. for the pool address it should be a lower case -o
3. for the credentials its an uppercase -O
4. yes, a space between the portnumber an -O.

(you are aware that you have to exchange pooladdress, poolport etc. with the data you are using, I hope ;) )

Offline counter

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 11:11:18 PM »
Ok ...

1. there should be a space after the " of minerd.exe" . That should resolve the error.
2. for the pool address it should be a lower case -o
3. for the credentials its an uppercase -O
4. yes, a space between the portnumber an -O.

(you are aware that you have to exchange pooladdress, poolport etc. with the data you are using, I hope ;) )

yea I'm aware, thanks for the clarifications.  I don't know what I hit but I somehow just deleted the shortcut so back to step 1 but It's ok I'd like to redo this as I made the shortcut using a old set of directions and would like to try a much simpler method I assume will work we'll see.

Offline Fallout

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 11:21:12 PM »
I wish you good luck, should work with the "tutorial".

If you have any questions, I will answer them tomorrow (1:20 am here in western europe :D ).

Offline counter

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »
I have a question but it can wait, u r very helpful many thanks to you !!