Author Topic: Advice on Litecoin Mining Rig (Quad 7970s)  (Read 13501 times)

Offline negreac

Re: Advice on Litecoin Mining Rig (Quad 7970s)
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 08:08:06 PM »
FYI for any of you thinking about using this Lian Li case make note that the thumbscrews are unique to Lian Li.  They use a M3-0.5 thread rather than the more standard 6-32.  You may want to pick some extras up.  They can be found here:

M3-0.5 Thumbscrews:

Lian Li Motherboard Thumb Screw Kit - Black - 12 Pack (TS-02B)

Lian Li Thumbscrew - Black (TS-01B)

Offline mrbyte

Re: Advice on Litecon Mining Rig (Quad 7970s)
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 12:03:51 AM »
Did a little more research and found out the latest Gigabyte 7970s are all voltage locked.  Looks like the best option now for overclocked 7970s is  the

SAPPHIRE 100351SR Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card OC with Boost

Definitely going to have to come up with a custom way to mount these to the Lian Li test bench since I won't be able to fit all 4 in the 8 slots.  They take up 2.5 slots.

Look to start with mmitech's 740kh/s settings posted here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117221.msg1681478#msg1681478

I have the Gigabyte 7970.  It comes with the gigabyte utility to adjust voltage.  I just undervolted mine.
BTC:19KGYaimXTC9zSMDuz8Rahv7J85Vk6BYjx
LTC:LPhKpWggaHV7qDGLwARtifSEF3vhtvYTbw

Offline negreac

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 12:30:34 AM »
I have the Gigabyte 7970.  It comes with the gigabyte utility to adjust voltage.  I just undervolted mine.

How long ago did you get your card?  They just started voltage locking them in the past 3-6 months.

Quick update, I just tried to short the pins on the PCI-e slots so I can use the 1x risers in the 16x slots on my motherboard (as mentioned in a previous post) you definitely need a very specific size wire to make it work.  Specifically you need 24 AWG solid core wire.  I've attached a link below to a spool on Amazon.  You can also find it in some Cat5 or Cat5e cables which you can buy by the foot at the local Home Depot.

24 AWG Solid Core Wire:

BLACK 24AWG Solid 300V Hook Up Wire - 25' Roll
Cerrowire1,000 ft. 24/4-Gauge Category 5e Riser Gray Internet Wire ($0.18/ft at Home Depot)

For cooling I will be using the following 2 140mm fans mounted to the optional Lian Li radiator/fan plate I mentioned above:

140mm Cooling Fans:

Silverstone Tek 140mm x 38mm Fan for CPU Cooler and Computer Cases Cooling FHP-141

Also I ended up using the fan that came with the Zalman water cooler however if I decided to upgrade the option below would be a nice replacement:

Potential Upgrade to CPU Cooling Fan:

Cooljag Everflow 120mm x 25mm 9-Blade PWM Fan (R121225BU) (Potentially could use 2 in push/pull with a PWM splitter, also note that Frozen CPU will sleeve the cable for an additional $4)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:44:08 AM by negreac »

Offline negreac

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 08:01:33 AM »
Okay so I got the rig together and powered up finally.  Can't start setting up yet until the custom SATA power cable I ordered shows up tomorrow but I have a few more updates.

One, be very careful when jumping the PCI express pins on the motherboard.  I ended up bending the pins in one of my PCI express slots.  I decided to replace the MB and this time went with the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 i was debating about earlier instead of another MSI 990FXA-GD80 V2.  I changed my mind for 2 reasons.  One I liked the layout of the ports better as well as built in fan control and two this is the board the poster I mention before achieved 740kH/s on.  Now everything in my setup for the most part matches his so I should be able to get similar results.

Not as big of a deal but I also discovered the multimedia port I ordered was the wrong one for my case.  The wiring interfered with the motherboard tray.  The correct one is below.  I have corrected my original link as well so it is the correct part now (PW-IS20AH55AT0).  Or at least I hope it is, the original part number listed in the case instructions has been discontinued.  I believe this is the correct replacement.  I will find out when it shows up on Friday.

I also decided I would at least try to minimize the dust so I have ordered the following filters for the dual cooling fans in the front of the rig and the PSU.  Problems is this case is aluminum and I wanted an easily removeable magnetic filter.  It basically came down to 2 options.  Buy a DEMCiflex magnetic filter that includes an adhesive backed magnetic frame for aluminum/plastic cases or get a normal magnetic filter and glue magnets to the back of the fan mount plate,  I chose option #2.  You can get 10 of the magnets at you local Home Depot for about $4 or the have a 30 pack on Amazon for $7 also linked below.  I  included a link to the DEMCiflex filter below as well.

PSU Dust Filter:

Silverstone Tek 140mm Ultra Fine Fan Filter with Magnet Cooling FF143B (Black)

Dual Fan Filter:

Silverstone Tek 140mm x 2 Fan Filter with Magnet, Black (FF142B)

Magnets:

30 Neodymium Magnets 1/4 x 1/16 inch Disc N48

Dual Fan Filter (DEMCiflex):

DEMCiflex 2 x 40mm Magnetic Dust / Fan Filter - Black - (Aluminum / Plastic Chassis)

I've also decided since this thing is open to the air I would like to protect the open slots.  The following protectors seemed like the best bet:

Slot Protectors for 2 RAM, 1 PCI, 1/2 PCI-e 16x, and 1/0 PCI-e 1x:

Lamptron Computer Slot Protector Kit - Black (For DDR2/DDR3 RAM, PCI, & PCI-E Slots)

Port Protectors for 12 USB, 8 Analog Audio, 3 eSATA, 6 SATA, 1 RJ45, 1 PS/2, 1 S/PDIF, 1 1394a, 4 HDMI, 4 Displayport, and 8 DVI:

Still looking at options here but Cosmos has some good sets available on Amazon.  Will update once I make a decision.

Below are a couple quick pics of the rig.  I will post a build album and further details after I get it up and mining this weekend.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:16:18 AM by negreac »

Offline invisbl

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 05:22:45 PM »
Looks pretty mean :)

Can't wait to hear your results. I am considering building one in the next week or two.

Best wishes!

Offline Turok

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
one of the cleanest rig I have ever seen.

I can't wait for the final results as I am really curious what temperatues you will get.
I was thinking about building basically very similar rig but with watercooling (around $110 / block for 7970) with some external radiators. However, the ROI will be enourmous high.

Moreover, I have 2 questions:
1. Why didn't you use just the out-of-the-box CPU cooler? CPU won't be used much anyway, so it should't get hot.
2. What is the overall price of the rig?

edit:
What parts did you use to construct the back part the is holding the GPUs?
If heat will be an issue, maybe adding this over the top of the cards will help little bit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lian-Li-PC-343B-Top-2-X-120mm-Fan-Plate-CCTOPFAN-/130512717889?pt=US_Computer_Case_Accessories_Tool_Kits&hash=item1e632a0841
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:49:48 PM by Turok »

Offline negreac

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »
one of the cleanest rig I have ever seen.

I can't wait for the final results as I am really curious what temperatues you will get.
I was thinking about building basically very similar rig but with watercooling (around $110 / block for 7970) with some external radiators. However, the ROI will be enourmous high.

Moreover, I have 2 questions:
1. Why didn't you use just the out-of-the-box CPU cooler? CPU won't be used much anyway, so it should't get hot.
2. What is the overall price of the rig?

edit:
What parts did you use to construct the back part the is holding the GPUs?
If heat will be an issue, maybe adding this over the top of the cards will help little bit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lian-Li-PC-343B-Top-2-X-120mm-Fan-Plate-CCTOPFAN-/130512717889?pt=US_Computer_Case_Accessories_Tool_Kits&hash=item1e632a0841

1. There were three reasons I didn't use the stock cooler.  I didn't want the additional heat underneath the cards, I don't think the stock cooler would fit under the cards (probably could have made it if I really needed to) and as stupid as it sounds for a mining rig I do care about how it looks and didn't like the red fan.  IMO it is worth the $30 for the cheap watercooler I have no plans of overclocking the CPU.

2. Haven't added everything up yet but all said and done after rebates and selling off the promo codes for the games my guess is around $2500-$2750.  When I do a more detailed layout I will include a price breakdown.  As I stated before something very similair could be built for about $300 - $400 less if you didn't do alot of the optional things I did as well as used lower end components in a few places.

For the brackets I used angle angle aluminum, 3/8" threaded rod, and 1/2" aluminum tube.  I'll get more into the details later.  I thought about adding some fans on top but ended up deciding against it for now since I think it may intefere with the airflow from front to back and I don't think exhuast fans would be very effective since it is an open case.  It may be worth investigating though once I get it up and running. 

I'm still a bit worried about the PSU since it has pretty limited airflow and it is exhusting the hot air to the front of the case where it will likely be sucked in by the main cooling fans.  Not ideal but the configuration made the most sense at the time to keep things balanced and compact.  In the future I may rethink the configuration so I can have the PSU airflow the same as the rest of the rig.

Offline mrbyte

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 12:33:11 AM »

How long ago did you get your card?  They just started voltage locking them in the past 3-6 months.

I just got it from Amazon last week.  I didn't realize they locked down the voltages.  That sucks.
BTC:19KGYaimXTC9zSMDuz8Rahv7J85Vk6BYjx
LTC:LPhKpWggaHV7qDGLwARtifSEF3vhtvYTbw

Offline chrcoe01

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 05:02:08 PM »
were those posts you used to hang the cards included with the kit, or did you fab them up yourself?

I was originally thinking of this case but didn't realize you could adjust so much on it, do they sell upgrade pieces that I'm missing?

I really like how it's 'semi-mobile'  my open air setup is completely NOT mobile, but I have a few inches between cards so it evens out in the end I guess

edit:

doh nvm I see you posted it lol

"For the brackets I used angle angle aluminum, 3/8" threaded rod, and 1/2" aluminum tube.  I'll get more into the details later.  I thought about adding some fans on top but ended up deciding against it for now since I think it may intefere with the airflow from front to back and I don't think exhuast fans would be very effective since it is an open case.  It may be worth investigating though once I get it up and running.  "
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:16:13 PM by chrcoe01 »

Offline levinhostar

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 09:42:23 PM »
I absolutly dont get how you put your gpus on your motherboard. I guess two are in the normal applience and two with riser? I got the GIGA 990 UD3 and im not happy with it with 4 7970 cards. Is the GIGA UD5 much better?

Would be really cool if you can explain that to me whats the best option with 4 7970.

thank you and wish us luck :)

Offline Turok

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »
no, there are risers for all 4 GPUs

Offline bruiser

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
@negreac: Absolutely stunning build. Definitely attention to detail there, I love it.  8)

Offline chrcoe01

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 01:04:11 PM »
i am ashamed of what mine looks like currently after I've seen pics of this... plus I am also pissed because i was going to get this case but didn't think it through long enough.  I currently just have a cobbled together rack and a base mount for the mobo lol

full disclosure -> i MAY steal your design to appease the visual gods

Offline FlReefermadness

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 03:00:26 AM »
Already stolen lol.  I went same setup accept MSI board with 4 16x pci-e slots and went with 4 x 7950's.

You vision for a killer miner/gaming rig inspired me. Thanks

Offline negreac

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 06:13:07 AM »

I just got it from Amazon last week.  I didn't realize they locked down the voltages.  That sucks.

Yeah I believe the majority of 7970s are voltage locked now.  I think Sapphire, MSI, Powercolor, and HIS are still unlocked though.  It seems the best way to find out right now if one is locked is to look at the latest reviews on Newegg.

I absolutly dont get how you put your gpus on your motherboard. I guess two are in the normal applience and two with riser? I got the GIGA 990 UD3 and im not happy with it with 4 7970 cards. Is the GIGA UD5 much better?

Would be really cool if you can explain that to me whats the best option with 4 7970.

thank you and wish us luck :)

Like Turok mentioned, I am using risers on all 4 cards.  You can buy the risers here on amazon as well as a number of other places:

PCI-E 1x to 16x Riser:

PCI-E Extension Cable 1X To 16X Riser Extender Card

The GIGA 990 UD3 should work just fine.  You can do a comparison on new egg to see the differences.  I chose to go with the UD5 because I liked a few of it's additional features but they should have no affect on mining performance.  I also chose it because it is the same MB another miner was getting 740kH/s with and I didn't want to chance that a different MB would cause a problem.  As far as best options with the 7970s I am a mining novice so all I can do is regurgitate what I have read over the past 2 weeks.  If I were you I would start by taking a look at the link I posted to the bitcoin forums in reference to the settings/setup the user who got 740kH/s on 4 cards is running.  There is a lot of good info in that thread.

Thanks all for the compliments.  I have everything setup now with the exception of that damn custom SATA power cable.  Until it shows up I am using one of the cables that came with the PSU.  I needed an external DVD/CD reader in order to install the drivers for the motherboard.  I've linked to one below that I like because it has built in cable storage.

External DVD/CD Drive:

BUFFALO 8x USB 2.0 Portable DVD Writer - DVSM-PC58U2VB

I've also been thinking about how I am going to manage this miner as well as any additional ones I build.  I plan to use a combination of Soluto and Teamviewer for remote access and maintenance as I already do for all my other PCs.  Recently Soluto has added remote control abilities and e-mail notification to their business version.  Depending on how good it is it may be worth the $9/ month for the all in one solution.  I also have my eye on the KVM switch below for when I am doing stuff that a remote access program won't work well for (i.e. troubleshooting hardware).  There is also a 2 port version.

Remote Access & Maintenance:

Teamviewer

Soluto

KVM Switch:

IOGEAR 4-Port USB Cable KVM Switch GCS24U (Black)

So after a few hours of banging my head against my desk I was able to get everything setup and running.  The overclock settings the guy that got 740kH/s was using didn't end up being stable on my rig so I still have to determine the best OC for my setup.  I am also getting some weird temps.  One card is running around 60C, two others are at 70C and the final one is at 84C.  I posted a screenshot below but it is a lousy resolution so it's a bit hard to read.  I will post a better one soon.  Could use some help figuring out what is going on here. 

Any ideas why one card is running so hot and another so cool?

What is the max temps I should be seeing?

Should I be concerned about 84C?

I am assuming 0-3 are in order from top of the board (CPU location) to the bottom is that correct?

Note that I currently have the first card in a 1x slot and the remaining 3 in jumpered 16x slots.

Thanks for the help!