Author Topic: improve hash rate  (Read 1258 times)

Offline mepaulus

improve hash rate
« on: April 04, 2013, 02:37:43 PM »
I am a newb CPU mining with a Core i5 2500k set below normal priority & scryptminer while web browsing, averaging around 41 Kh/sec. The cpu temp is a steady 53- 54C using an arctic freezer pro cooler however I switch off overnight just in case anything starts to overheat, I don't want to mess my system up.
I wondered if I run my pc in safe mode with networking enabled and do my browsing on my laptop so leaving my pc cpu free to just mine, could I maybe coax a few extra kh/sec?
Bitcoin 1PYFk1eKFhKd6UA1Gp5wkusd63mTdshpqP

Litecoin LSLdoGJgJNPMkD9rsCrYdqEf9pvtLAhVd3

Offline Fallout

Re: improve hash rate
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 02:44:02 PM »
You can leave it overnight, will be no problem. Using safemode and stuff will not result in much more kH/s, idling normal windows will probably have 1-2% load for the CPU.

If you want more kH/s with CPU only, probably the only way is overclocking (which should be possible at your 54°C), but of course own risk and might void warranties.

If you want more hashing power, there is no real way without using GPUs
BTC: 18b4FuDzMJnaaZK63tm5vLULUGd3YwSLu
LTC: LRr9CTjQxUo4nvW5UMWz2jMwBHJAKLvreR
FTC: 6hMioPvuzexjcNWJHuhqEySTzF3TiWLUBp
BBQ: bQRPD59v1aqvQAM7knuo7CG9QtiamnUjZi

Offline mepaulus

Re: improve hash rate
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »
You can leave it overnight, will be no problem. Using safemode and stuff will not result in much more kH/s, idling normal windows will probably have 1-2% load for the CPU.

If you want more kH/s with CPU only, probably the only way is overclocking (which should be possible at your 54°C), but of course own risk and might void warranties.

If you want more hashing power, there is no real way without using GPUs

Many thanks for that quick reply, I have an old pentium 4 comp, think I'll try putting a decent gpu in it just for mining which will leave me free to work with this pc because I do a lot of heavy photoshop work and video editing.
Bitcoin 1PYFk1eKFhKd6UA1Gp5wkusd63mTdshpqP

Litecoin LSLdoGJgJNPMkD9rsCrYdqEf9pvtLAhVd3