Author Topic: BEST COMPUTER TO PURCHASE FOR MINING LITECOIN + OTHER ALTERNATIVE CRYPTOCURRENCY  (Read 11918 times)

Offline CollegeMiner

I'm looking to purchase a cheap computer and replace the graphics card with a relatively powerful Radeon model. I don't know how to build a computer from parts so that's out of the question.

Does anyone have suggestions for cheap computer models I can purchase? Suggestions for efficient graphics cards would be great too. I've tentatively settled on the Radeon 7950 but I'm still learning about this whole process.

Thanks in advance.

Offline ltcflux

Your best bet is to look into Bitcoin rigs and how they are built along with the software used to mine (if that's what you're interested in doing).

If you don't understand Mining it's not a bad idea to just buy litecoins from BTC-e and store them in your wallet and consider that the investment you're making.
http://ltcflux.wordpress.com/
LTC: LMbw3YFfayVpE2r3SrEAaq2EtFfSonjNAn
BTC: 18R787hw3i8vngdfMpQ9Kwtv68iiVRXgLv

Offline CollegeMiner

I think you're right actually. I should learn how to build a rig so I can actually understand what I'm doing better. I have a follow-up question, then. Do you know if the majority of cryptocurrencies are mined by GPU? I want to have the potential to mine more than Litecoins, and if some currencies are best mined with CPU I should take that into consideration before purchasing parts.

Offline cronusblade

Every currency is best mined with a GPU (disregarding things like ASICs). More specifically AMD ones, though NVIDIA cards still perform leagues better in mining than a CPU.
LTC: Li3uXmsDDG7ddhP9sFpNSPz76BcLvfgi1k

Offline CollegeMiner

Thanks for responding. Is there a generic rig I could put together for around $500-600 with a high quality Radeon graphics card?

Offline ltcflux

Focus on the GPU above all else. With that said, a good 7870 or 7950 will cost you $250-350.

Offline CollegeMiner

If I pay around $250 for a 7870 on newegg can I get all the other parts for around $600 total? Is there a thread where a rig outline is detailed for noobs? I've been searching but can't find one. Just looking for a basic breakdown of parts from reliable manufacturers since I don't know the industry at all.

Offline ltcflux

You can use PCPartPicker (http://pcpartpicker.com/) to build a computer around parts from different stores and optimize the price. Another alternative is Kijiji or Craigslist to see if you can find GPU's second hand.

Offline Sy

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Member
If your kwh price is high, go for 4-5 7790 in one rig, otherwise the 7950 are fine but...i wouldn't really recommend mining at all if you aren't good with pcs, it's usually not really "Turn on and print money"

Offline CollegeMiner

Thanks for the PC Part Picker website - looks really helpful.

To Sy, my kwh price is high as I live in NYC, so I'll take that into consideration.

To your other point, I agree that my mindset about this whole thing was off at the beginning. There's no point doing it and not learning about PCs, so I've taken on that challenge. I want to build my PC (maybe with some help but I'd try it first myself), then figure out how to mine. I'm doing it more because cryptocurrency is inherently interesting to me than for profit anyway.

I'm probably just going to start with one graphics card (7790) because I'm a little short on cash at the moment. However, I want the option to add more later. Is there a specific motherboard either of you would suggest for mining, or should I just look for one with several slots (not sure if that's what they're called) open so I can add more in the future.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline coinsolo

A previous poster suggested that any GPU is better than CPU mining.  In my experience with LTC mining, pooler's minerd on a relatively fast cpu (i5/i7) beats mid level nvidia cards.  I think it is wise to avoid NVIDIA for mining.  Radeon works orders of magnitude better. 

CPU mining for Litecoin is pretty satisfying.  My little network of random i5 and i7s, not particularly high clock speed, places me well into the top half of mining speed among users in the Burnside pool.  I mine LTC on cpus and use my Radeon for bitcoin pool mining.  I don't even bother to use my mid level nvidia cards for mining.

I may not be making money vs power costs today (or maybe I am) but the more I learn about fiat currency like the dollar the more convinced I am that the sky is the limit for LTC and BTC prices in the next months and years.  Gold and silver aren't bad ideas either, but they don't pop out of my PC!!

Offline Sy

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Member
I'm using an ASRock H77 Pro4-M right now, you can use 2 Cards without any extenders, haven't tested if you are able to extend the pciE 1x yet but you can still use 3 Cards with 1 or 2 16x extender. You can either just extend the middle slot but it will be hard to place that card xD or extend the two bottom slots and move the cards next to your mainboard.

Next incoming board is Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V, you can use 1 Card out of the box and the other slots are working with 1x to 16x extender (found the info in a bitcoin forum, can verify tomorrow) it will allow you to run 4 Cards on a single board.

Go for the cheapest 1155 CPU, thats usually a Celeron 46x, take 2-4 GB RAM and thats it.

Upside with the 7790 is that you can use a way cheaper PSU since the 7790 only uses one 6 pin power connector, every PSU above 400W should have at least one, one card uses around 80W so you could run all 4 on a decent 500W PSU.

I should start selling rigs...  ;D

Offline CollegeMiner

Thanks for the responses guys.

To coinsolo: that's interesting, because 99% of what I've read is that GPU mining is far more efficient. I think I'd be safer going down that route since I'm inexperienced. It would probably be quite a challenge to build the setup you have.

To Sy, the Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V looks like a great price, but it's gotten relatively poor ratings on NewEgg. People saying parts are malfunctioning and such. Should I be concerned about this? Let me know how it goes when yours arrives. Also, I'm not sure what a "Celeron 46x" is, no results after googling it. Assuming it's a type of CPU but couldn't find anything on it. Also, when you say "take" 2-4 GB RAM is this in the form of a separate purchase of an HDD. Sorry for my misinterpretations, I'm just learning all this like in the last week.

Offline goodfella

On my site minelitecoins.com I have setup an amazon store that shows items that I have researched to be best for Litecoin mining. Good luck in your hunt!

Offline CollegeMiner

Great looking site, but I'm hoping to spend a few hundred less than even your budget deal. Does anyone on here know where I can find a breakdown of GPU by kwh? I'm looking for something that's very efficient in that regard because electricity in New York City is crazy expensive (about 25 cents kwh). Thanks.