Author Topic: Guides to mining on Linux - Debian?  (Read 891 times)

Offline ltc_for_me

Guides to mining on Linux - Debian?
« on: April 12, 2013, 02:59:24 AM »
Hi forum,

I have a 7970 and wanted to set up a Debian box for mining. Are there any guides specifically tailored to Debian? I'm not sure which drivers are required, or which are decent, or if it's even a good distro to use. Are overclocking and GPU monitoring tools available on Debian? If the good tools are Windows based I'll have to reconsider my choice for OS.

Your help is appreciated!

Offline bruiser

Re: Guides to mining on Linux - Debian?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:11:03 AM »
Here is a good guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gw7YPYgMgNNU42skibULbJJUx_suP_CpjSEdSi8_z9U/preview?sle=true

Should be similar for Debian. Just a few small modifications throughout the guide (if you use the computer as a desktop, you probably wouldn't need byobu) and updating of download links--but otherwise, straight forward. Remember to change the cgminer startup for Litecoins (--scrypt) as well.

Offline ltc_for_me

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:43:40 AM »
Thanks, I hadn't read that one yet.

The author recommends Catalyst 12.3, and I'm going to assume that guide is a bit old because Catalyst 13.3 is beta. So, is there a recommended version of Catalyst to use - are there performance issues or bugs with particular versions?

Offline bruiser

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
I can't say as I'm not using xubuntu for mining anymore (I've just had better luck using Windows.. and it kills me). Personally I'd use the most recent stable drivers, I believe that has been 13.1 (Windows). I've heard the 12.8's or somewhere in that range have some issues--but I can't confirm that.