Author Topic: Litecoin BAMT - Easy USB Linux mining distro (MARCH 29 update, v1.6.2, PiMP!)  (Read 337432 times)

Offline debianlinux

• Freow
Re: Litecoin BAMT - Easy USB bootable mining Linux distro
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2013, 04:12:12 PM »
I've had zero issues editing crontab directly. When in doubt make a backup copy of a config file before editing it. Also, I try to backup the flash drive image after making any serious system changes so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel should I completely break the system.

Offline Chowderman

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2013, 04:33:35 PM »
aside from my cgminer.conf nothing was changed really, so its not a hard fix, i did try to add minerd to use my 1090t to mine YAC's but it really wasnt wanting to work anyway.

But if you were able to edit your crontrab...I wonder what broke the Xauthority on my machine then....i am just good at breaking things i think.

Offline debianlinux

• Freow
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
But if you were able to edit your crontrab...I wonder what broke the Xauthority on my machine then....i am just good at breaking things i think.

Depends, what commands did you tell cron to issue?

Offline Chowderman

« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2013, 04:52:06 PM »

all i was giving it was an /sbin/reboot

I think i found it an article about ssh-x breaking Xauthority, its on a Ubuntu topic, but I am going to assume it is Debian related. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/269954

I was having an issue with my crontab, and it was rebooting like almost right away when I would RDP...so then I used putty to SSH into the rig and halt the shutdown because I wasnt having enough time to do it in bamt from RDP, which must have lead to the breaking of XAuthority.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:51:40 PM by Chowderman »

Offline hendo420

« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2013, 06:29:25 PM »
I currently have my windows 7 set to reboot every 3 hours just incase one of the video cards dies. Everything is set to run at boot up, cgminer set with a 30 sec timeout b4 to account for anything that has to start, like hwinfo, at boot.

Just restarting cgminer doesn't fix the card and it will lose about 20% speed after card crash and cgminer restart. So, reboot is the only option I see.

Btw, I took the cgminer.conf from bamt and modified it slightly, in windows I'm now getting faster hash rates than bamt. lol

2000kh/s with 3x 7950s in windows, 1900kh/s in bamt. I was only getting 1700-1800kh/s in windows. So nice bump.

Offline mineltc

« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »
I have 3 x 7950 and 1 x 7850 cards attached in my rig. In windows 7 all four work and mine pretty nice.

I just switched to BAMT, i like it so far, but I have two questions.

1)

My 7850 is not recognized in BAMT.
It detects the 3 x 7950 and they all do ~660kH/s.
Is there a way to manually try and detect/add the 7850?

2)

Currently GPUmon isn't working on my rig. I would like to get that feature running.
Does anyone know a guide how to set up GPUmom, or can guide me through it?

If someone can help me that would be awesome 8)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:01:39 PM by mineltc »

Offline Chowderman

« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2013, 10:12:24 PM »

Now weird...I had shutdown the pc remotely from work, come home light it, it boots up like nothing was ever wrong with it...

Offline Sy

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Member
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »
I have 3 x 7950 and 1 x 7850 cards attached in my rig. In windows 7 all four work and mine pretty nice.

1)

2)

Currently GPUmon isn't working on my rig. I would like to get that feature running.

Try the 13.4 driver, that should work.

You mean mgpumon? add " do_bcast_status: 1" to bamt.conf and "do_mgpumon: 1" on the machine you want to see them all - or just add both to all confs ^^

Or get mgpumon running on your vserver and use "do_direct_status: ip" to set a target, that's what i am doing - BAMT status everywhere! xD

Offline c3po

« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2013, 06:15:28 AM »
Was anybody able to figure out the auto shutdown thing?

About 30 seconds after fulling loading - my entire system shuts down.

Offline debianlinux

• Freow
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2013, 10:58:33 AM »

Default bamt.conf specifies a 20 second interval before starting the mining processes. It sounds likely that the launch of your miners is causing the shutdown. If the shutdown is a full system restart as opposed to a hang then the culprit is usually an underrated PSU. There's lots of ways to diagnose this typically starting with using a single GPU and setting the miner.conf to mediocre levels to see if the thing boots and runs well with lower power draw and settings that are certain to not cause a hang (like lower intensity and memory clocks).

Offline c3po

« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2013, 02:56:13 PM »

Default bamt.conf specifies a 20 second interval before starting the mining processes. It sounds likely that the launch of your miners is causing the shutdown. If the shutdown is a full system restart as opposed to a hang then the culprit is usually an underrated PSU. There's lots of ways to diagnose this typically starting with using a single GPU and setting the miner.conf to mediocre levels to see if the thing boots and runs well with lower power draw and settings that are certain to not cause a hang (like lower intensity and memory clocks).

Ah - I will try that.  Does it start mining if started in failsafe mode?  Is there a way I can make it not mine on startup & manually start?

Offline debianlinux

• Freow
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2013, 03:02:18 PM »
Correct, failsafe mode bypasses the autostart of the miners by way of bamt.conf. However, failsafe mode will not prevent other scripts from launching miner processes. I mention that because I have a cron job to check if cgminer is running and if not to execute a script to get it going.

Offline c3po

« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2013, 03:22:54 PM »
Hm - I haven't setup any cron jobs so the default script should be the only one firing.

My hardware worked on ubuntu from a flash drive (although there were stability problems when I hit intensity 16).  The system didn't shut off though.  Just insanely slow to do anything with.

I'm using a ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ mobo, a Sempron 145 & 2gb ram.

Offline Chilliwillikers

« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2013, 04:46:12 PM »
So if I wanted to switch to mining something in the SHA-256 realm, would I just have to change the "kernel" : "scrypt" to "kernel" : "sha-256" and then set the "scrypt" : true to "scrypt" : false in the cgminer.conf file??

Offline mineltc

« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2013, 05:52:30 PM »

1)

2)

Try the 13.4 driver, that should work.

You mean mgpumon? add " do_bcast_status: 1" to bamt.conf and "do_mgpumon: 1" on the machine you want to see them all - or just add both to all confs ^^

Or get mgpumon running on your vserver and use "do_direct_status: ip" to set a target, that's what i am doing - BAMT status everywhere! xD

1) Thanks, installing the 13.4 driver fixed the problem. BAMT now recognizes all four cards.

2) Installing the 13.4 driver also fixed the mgpumon not working. It now works at startup, did not have to change or add anything in the bamt.conf.

Solving these two issues got me another issue. I am sure this one is easy to fix, so again any help would be gladly appriciated :)

I have got the following GPU's installed

GPU0: 7850
GPU1: 7950
GPU2: 7950
GPU3: 7950

I managed to configure them separately in cgminer.conf and my 7850 does ~390kH/s which is good.
But all three 7950 seem to get stuck around ~ 400 kH/s all of a sudden.
Before updating to driver 13.4 I got ~660 per 7950 out of them without breaking a sweat.
 ???

EDIT: Ok, when I disable the 7850 in cgminer, my 7950's run at full speed...

EDIT2: When I disable one of the 7950's and enable the 7850 back, the other two 7950's drop down again.

7850: 390                          |          7850: disabled           |        7850: 390
7950: 300                          |          7950: 660                  |        7950: 300
7950: 300                          |          7950: 660                  |        7950: 300
7950: 300                          |          7950: 660                  |        7950: disabled

It seem like the 7850 and 7950 can not run together in the same cgminer.
I had no problems running all four of the cards using GUI-scrypt on a Windows 7 machine.

EDIT3: Alright, got it to work. I lowered the intensity from GPU0 (7850) to 17. This lowers the hashrate of that card to ~380 but I am able to run the other cards at full speed.

I'm still going to tinker with it a little more and flash the bios on the cards with a lower voltage but for now it's working. Sweet :)

@ Bee: a donation is heading your way, nice job mate 8)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:52:45 PM by mineltc »