Author Topic: PPLNS vs PPS for infrequent mining  (Read 3931 times)

Offline deletethis

• marco.node.io
PPLNS vs PPS for infrequent mining
« on: May 09, 2013, 04:32:34 PM »
From my understanding, PPLNS should be better for workers with high hashrates and consistent mining, since they will have a higher share percentage and therefore a higher reward percentage, but for those with a low (~75KH/s) hashrate and low and infrequent mining times (whenever my PC is on, basically), I suppose PPLNS will not work in my favour because of my low share percentage, and so PPS will be better suited to me...

Is this true? What is the better payout method for infrequent mining (or generally)?

Offline Snipes

Re: PPLNS vs PPS for infrequent mining
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »
On the lon run, PPLNS should have a better reward, whatever your kh/s. It depends on the luck of the pool. If you join a pool with lots of mh/s, you will find blocks pretty fast and get paid out good. If the pool has bad luck you will get paid less. But in the longrun, it should pay out better.

PPS pays out every share you find, even if it takes the pool longer then usual to find a block. That's why most PPS pools have a higher fee. It's risky for the pool. If the pool finds blocks slowly, you will still get paid your shares.

So it's up to you to see what fits you best. I recommend PPLNS with 0-2% fee

Offline deletethis

• marco.node.io
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »
I thought that PPLNS pools with low KH/s will reward a higher payout because of the higher share percentage, but will find blocks less often? So is it better to join a high or low hashrate pool - will payouts be the same?

Offline Snipes

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 04:51:37 PM »
Pools with low kh/s will have a bigger payout, but it takes a lot longer to find a block.
Pools with high mh/s tend to get luckier then pools with low hashrate. So it will pay a little bit better on a pool with high hashrate

Except if the pool with low hashrate finds blocks faster then it should, then you will have a bigger payout there