Author Topic: Buying off the silk road?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Caydn12

Buying off the silk road?
« on: May 11, 2013, 03:02:28 AM »
Is it legal to buy legal things from someone on the silkroad. For example there are lots of Graphics cards for sale on there. Completely legal item, but since it is on the silk road is it still illegal to buy?

Offline LiteCoinUser123

Re: Buying off the silk road?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 03:24:18 AM »
Silk Road is itself not an illegal place.  You can't criminalize the sale of legal goods, as a general rule.

So the short answer is: No.  By buying a thing which you can legally buy, from a place like Silk Road, you are probably not doing anything illegal.

The exceptions would be if:
- cryptography is outlawed in your jurisdiction (in which case any kind of encryption as well as coin mining may also be a no-no)
- masking your location is outlawed in your jurisdiction (Tor obviously cannot be used then)
- buying legal items which may be stolen or otherwise illegally acquired is illegal in your jurisdiction (unlikely, as it isn't that common to criminalize people for something they don't and reasonably CAN'T know about)

Basically, think of it this way:  it is not illegal to let gang members blindfold you and drive you to a place the location of which you do not know, so that you can buy stuff from a guy in a trenchcoat with dark glasses, provided that the things he is selling you are not themselves illegal.  It is dodgy as hell, and it COULD get you into all sorts of trouble - but that'll likely be from the gang members, the guy with the trenchcoat, or the goods themselves - not from the law. 
In this example, TOR is the ride with gang members while blindfolded, SR / the seller is the trenchcoat guy, etc.

If you buy GPUs from a guy with a trenchcoat, but you don't believe that they are stolen and you have no good reason to believe they are stolen, then the only law you are potentially breaking is tax laws, by possessing "money" or a monetary instrument you didn't pay taxes on (crypto) or by wilfully evading sales tax if relevant in your jurisdiction.  Bear in mind that "good reason" varies depending on where you are.  In some places, if it turned out that an item you bought from a guy in a trenchcoat was stolen, the fact that the transaction took place outside of the normal course of business is viewed as a good clue for you that it probably wasn't legit.  That places the weight on you, and thus if the police get a tip, they're going to reclaim the item and return it to its rightful owner.  That's relevant in the case of a car, but not likely in the case of a GPU.

As always, I am not a qualified lawyer in your jurisdiction and so anything I say should not be taken as legal advice.  But this should hopefully settle that question for you - if the things you're buying aren't illegal, then the act of buying them generally isn't illegal, no matter where you buy them from.
If I've been able to help out or if you just feel generous, donations are always welcome.  :-)

LTC: LauyEJxTDVjgtUPKz6dGpeZT9Vd5H9bbDz
BTC: 1QGwEHYTdwwRU1BitLCTB5y2rdf3Sexjw7

Offline Caydn12

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 03:31:15 AM »
Thats what I thought, because even if tey did random search the box, big deal. they are going to find a GPU in it and be like "oh this is just some nerdy guy" hahaha.
Im still kind of afraid to buy things off silk road, but I meam its a pretty good deal and the seller has 100% positive feedback, and doesnt sell any illegal items like drugs and what not.
Ill probably buy it though.

Offline The 4ner

• Local Bitcoins Public Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:18:43 PM »
If anything you can try using Atlantis. They deal in BTC and LTC, and even though it's basically the same thing as TSR the GUI isn't as "shady looking" and even looks pretty legitimate in many ways. Give it a shot and see how it goes. You'd be helping out the LTC community for the reason that Atlantis was created around LTC just like TSR was created around BTC.
If I was of any help please consider donating.
Donate LTC: LNEs5n5MwrJEteSW39KSKnTADo5RHZcxiA
Donate BTC: 1EL4nErX7mJTEUJUZGc7gJ3pAEkijXASoG
#Bitcoin-OTC WoT

Offline Caydn12

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 12:29:30 AM »
I was looking at that as well but they didnt have the item i wanted. If they ever do though, ill go for it!!

Offline crazyearner

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »
Me personally I would not buy off silk road theirs too many scammers on it. I prefer places that are legit and don't have the risk of losing money.

Offline vanbits85

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 03:34:59 AM »
i want to buy
"Some things are better left unsaid"

Offline MoneypakTrader.com

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 09:33:44 AM »
I've bought things off of SilkRoad before.. Not a problem either

Offline The 4ner

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 02:34:45 PM »
I want to try purchasing on there just so that I could say I have ha ha! I want to feel like a badass lol. I won't be buying anything illegal though.
#Bitcoin-OTC WoT

Offline The 4ner

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 02:36:31 PM »
Off Atlantis I mean.  8)
#Bitcoin-OTC WoT

Offline Moggs

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »
Both Atlantis and Silk Road (if it is still operational) are marketplaces that sell contraband as well as legitimate items thus making any financial dealings with those sites a dicey proposition with the increasingly authoritarian nature of the US government.

Regardless of what you intend to purchase at those, or any similar sites, you should take pains to anonymize yourself and your purchases.
BTC: 1K5DF366nikz67zKMJk8y3UKtCVVvUKJjx

Offline DapperDon

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 03:18:49 PM »
yes, using silkroads itself is not illegal