Author Topic: What guides would you like to see?  (Read 5320 times)

Offline vorksholk

What guides would you like to see?
« on: August 03, 2012, 02:38:40 AM »
Title says it all. What guides do you want to see? Anything in particular you having trouble with that a guide would help with? Post here!

Offline Garr255

• Cognitive Mining
Re: What guides would you like to see?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 03:56:48 AM »
A guide to setting up a pool (front and back ends) would probably be helpful to many people.
Get some! http://dispenser.bitbank.me/ | Invest! http://cognitivemining.com/
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Offline vorksholk

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 04:37:30 AM »
A guide to setting up a pool (front and back ends) would probably be helpful to many people.

That would be helpful for sure. Greedi might be able to do that, as he set up mine.liteco.in. :)

Offline Greedi

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 07:35:04 PM »
That would be helpful for sure. Greedi might be able to do that, as he set up mine.liteco.in. :)

sure, i can make a guide about that, i will take a bit time, but it will come :)
Show your support -> Sea Shepherds

Offline Scott J

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 11:40:43 PM »
I would like a guide on securing litecoins.

It's easy to have an offline Bitcoin wallet with Armory.... - what can I do to protect my LTC?

Offline vorksholk

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:08:17 PM »
I would like a guide on securing litecoins.

It's easy to have an offline Bitcoin wallet with Armory.... - what can I do to protect my LTC?

I would personally recommend keeping a wallet on a computer that isn't connected to the internet. It seems like it would be fairly simple:
1.) Get a computer that you want to use for this to download litecoin and the blockchain
2.) Setup some addresses
3.) Disconnect that computer from the internet
4.) Whenever you have litecoins you want to secure, send them to one of the addresses of the offline wallet
5.) Whenever you need those litecoins, connect your offline computer to the internet.

Did I miss anything?

Offline gollygosh

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 12:25:54 AM »
Hi everyone - new here - then again I guess everyone is in one way or another :)

I would like a guide if it is possible and I am not saying it is, because I just don't know enough to make even an informed guess, I am just hoping here with fingers crossed, if the latest version of GUIMINER - V2012-02-19 could be used to mine litecoin. In the drop down - File - New Miner - I can see NEW CGMINER.

I think the rest is obvious - can this be used and how would you set it up for both solo and pool mining Litecoin - if at all possible.

The CGMiner Autosolo script seems awesome - but I could not get it to run - I am using WIN7 ULT 64bit but it is in a very unstable state at present - I need to completely re-install my OS from scratch - I think it is the unstable state of my OS rather than the script that is at fault. When I run it - it just opens up a browser window and then downloads itself again!

Anyway thanks for all the great stuff on this forum - considering the profitability of Litecoin vs BTC at present - I really want to jump on board the Litecoin train.

Offline vorksholk

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 01:54:22 AM »
Hi everyone - new here - then again I guess everyone is in one way or another :)

I would like a guide if it is possible and I am not saying it is, because I just don't know enough to make even an informed guess, I am just hoping here with fingers crossed, if the latest version of GUIMINER - V2012-02-19 could be used to mine litecoin. In the drop down - File - New Miner - I can see NEW CGMINER.

I think the rest is obvious - can this be used and how would you set it up for both solo and pool mining Litecoin - if at all possible.

The CGMiner Autosolo script seems awesome - but I could not get it to run - I am using WIN7 ULT 64bit but it is in a very unstable state at present - I need to completely re-install my OS from scratch - I think it is the unstable state of my OS rather than the script that is at fault. When I run it - it just opens up a browser window and then downloads itself again!

Anyway thanks for all the great stuff on this forum - considering the profitability of Litecoin vs BTC at present - I really want to jump on board the Litecoin train.

Unfortunately GUIMiner doesn't support scrypt mining at all :(

About my AutoSolo not working, what version of java are you using?

Offline gollygosh

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 02:15:03 AM »
About my AutoSolo not working, what version of java are you using

Errrm - downloaded the latest version I think - 7.0.30.5

But like I said I think it is down to my OS issues - it's not just your Java files I cannot run properly - it's all of them.

Thanks for replying.

Offline gollygosh

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 02:32:56 AM »
GUI miner is just a shell - shouldn't it be able to pass variables over to CGminer so as to get it started?
Or am I just missing something?

Offline vorksholk

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 05:47:04 AM »
GUI miner is just a shell - shouldn't it be able to pass variables over to CGminer so as to get it started?
Or am I just missing something?

Yes, GUIMiner is basically a GUI fronted that mines with a backend kernel. Right now there is no support for scrypt in GUIMiner, however it doesn't seem like it would be hard at all for the developer of GUIminer to add scrypt support by adding a kernel that supports it :)

Offline gollygosh

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »
Hi don't take this the wrong way - but I have talked to my BTC expert and this was his words to me - after reading this thread, please please don't blame me - I am just sitting in the middle of this, thinking to myself I wonder who is right.

"the statement of guiminer/cgminer/skrypt/kernel is ignorant.  apparently he doesnt know you specify your kernal in the commands, just like how you and i already specify to use the phatk2 kernel"

I am not a coder or at least not a very good one, so I am looking at this and going ???? - dunno which one of you is right, but my mate is very very smart on all things code and BTC'ing.

Also - https://lc.ozco.in/gettingstarted.php
say's on the above linked page - If you're new to Litecoin mining, try the GUI miner. It will simplify the process and get you mining sooner!

I am a man in search of answers, not a troll - just in case anybody get's the wrong impression.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:52:27 PM by gollygosh »

Offline vorksholk

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 04:47:57 PM »
Hi don't take this the wrong way - but I have talked to my BTC expert and this was his words to me - after reading this thread, please please don't blame me - I am just sitting in the middle of this, thinking to myself I wonder who is right.

"the statement of guiminer/cgminer/skrypt/kernel is ignorant.  apparently he doesnt know you specify your kernal in the commands, just like how you and i already specify to use the phatk2 kernel"

I am not a coder or at least not a very good one, so I am looking at this and going ???? - dunno which one of you is right, but my mate is very very smart on all things code and BTC'ing.

Also - https://lc.ozco.in/gettingstarted.php
say's on the above linked page - If you're new to Litecoin mining, try the GUI miner. It will simplify the process and get you mining sooner!

I am a man in search of answers, not a troll - just in case anybody get's the wrong impression.

Yes, you can specify a kernel if you don't want to use GUIMiner's default. I'm confused as to what he is saying, from what I understand, GUIMiner is just a GUI frontend, and it mines with a kernel backend. Guiminer doesn't currently have the capability to, in any way, tell it to mine Scrypt, however I imagine a few small changes could get it to.

Offline gollygosh

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
I am sort of leaning in your direction - but he is one of those guys that normally doesn't say something unless he has a greater insight than me on something - I have scoured the net looking into this, but the only thing I could find on it - was someone at Ozco saying on a forum post that it was possible.

Like i said - In my own head I agree with you - but then again - he does know his stuff - has over 20 GPU's on the go and has been into this stuff for well over a year....

On another note a step by step guide to Litecoin mining via CGminer or Reaper would be nice as I still have not managed to get it to work. As I said Java does not like my OS issues at present.

By the way how long has Litecoin GPU mining been going on anyway?

I currently only have 2 5870's in my own home PC - churning out 880m's - whilst still having a working machine. So this is not a case of megabucks if I can't get it to work. (Only been on this Litecoin thing part time for 2 days though - so i might work it out eventually by myself.)

Thanks for all your help
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:26:42 PM by gollygosh »

Offline gollygosh

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 10:02:54 PM »
I also seen your video on youtube and did exactly as you did - I even used your PSW and Username etc - ie - exactly the same config settings as seen you have on screen. Ran reaper - lots of onscreen errors in DOS window then it quits out back to the desktop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvhpOQHVZpM

I think I need to completely re-install my OS or I once again am not in touch with the same reality as everyone else.
CGminer is my next trial and error app - maybe I will have better luck with that!

Thanks