Author Topic: Litecoin Wallet Lost  (Read 5632 times)

Offline hbbh

Litecoin Wallet Lost
« on: March 14, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »
Hello everybody.
I would like your help on this matter: I had LitecoinQT Litecoin Wallet installed, and when I re-installed W7 I forgot to backup the wallet.
I used a recovery tool to search the HDD and I found intact the Litecoin folder.
Can someone please advise on what would I have to do next in order to recover the wallet?

Thank you.

Offline Narayan

Re: Litecoin Wallet Lost
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »
Put the wallet.dat file in your Litecoin directory. C:\Users\Username\Roaming\Litecoin

Start litecoin with the rescan option.

Offline weex

• Administrator
  • Donator
    • LitecoinMiningCalculator.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »
Pywallet can be used to attempt to dump the private keys from that wallet file if litecoind doesn't work. You just have to use the --otherversion=48 switch.

Do not send the wallet.dat to anyone you don't trust not to run with the funds. At least before you've exhausted all other possible options.

Offline hbbh

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 04:55:48 PM »
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/litecoinerr.png/

this is the error i get after replacing wallet.dat and starting with -rescan option.

stuck again.

Apreciate.

Offline hbbh

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 01:13:21 PM »
UP! Please help, purse has 100 LTC, offer 10% donation to winning solution. Thanks all.

Offline hardcpp

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 04:13:48 AM »
Try to remove your .litecoin data dir

uninstall / reinstall litecoin

import your wallet.dat (copy / paste in explorer) and start the client, it may work

your wallet should be in this dir : %appdata%\litecoin

If you want more help, i can do it for your via teamviewer
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:23:50 AM by hardcpp »
LTC : LPsq7TuQdVXSdoKSQtiaVSjQNkewrw21Yx
Free ltc

Offline LiteCoinFoot

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 11:51:34 PM »
Try to remove your .litecoin data dir

uninstall / reinstall litecoin

import your wallet.dat (copy / paste in explorer) and start the client, it may work

your wallet should be in this dir : %appdata%\litecoin

If you want more help, i can do it for your via teamviewer

This sounds great, but being a bit of a PC noob, i'm not sure how to do what said about copying my wallet.dat file into explorer?

I found my wallet.dat, but dont know what to do with it, do i throw it onto the litecoin.qt client that runs the wallet?

I'm so sorry for these questions, but when it comes to this stuff i'm in the dark, thank you for any help.

Offline Straticus

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 01:40:40 PM »
Put it in the %appdata%\litecoin directory
You down with LTC: LforyADSUrKWDSJtTWK1o7DZHFVgZpyxyg

Offline LiteCoinFoot

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 10:18:08 PM »
Thanks i just tried that but still nothing.

This was never an issue. The coins were always there, and then just disappeared from my wallet, so i'm afraid of this happening again.

Are there any other better, more secure wallets than litecoin.qt?

I will have to start again, and i dont want to use the same wallet that took all my coins.

Offline techbytes

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »
That folder you recovered could very well be an original folder with an empty wallet.  This has nothing to do with security of litecoin wallet but your lack of care for the wallet.  I suggest you register for an online wallet.  This way if your PC crash, your wallet will be intact.  Don't mean to sound harsh, just don't want you to lose your hard earn LTCs again.  Gotta give your LTC some TLC...   ;D

If you do use litecoin wallet again, don't backup the wallet to the same hard drive but do use a USB key or external hard drive.

just my 2 cents...

btw, if you are going to give up on recovering the wallet, maybe you can give it to some one here to try and recover them for you. 

tb
LWzhD2yiB3KLVjter63xSV7QrQ6hoBRhJq

Offline LiteCoinFoot

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 02:19:08 AM »
Hi Tech, i realize i stuffed up the wallet, but still, i think its still crazy how you can so easily lose them.

I never backed up the wallet before i sent coins there. But they were always in my wallet, then they just disappeared, so there must a bot of some kind which looks for coins being dumped from idiots like my self. :-[

Anyway, it was a hard lesson learnt, i sent more ltc's to another address which was encrypted and backed up, its been over a week and they are still there. I have my wallet on an encrypted usb drive now so i should be fine. ;)

I dont know how anyone could recover my coins, although they were sent to an address on my ltc wallet, it seems impossible to access. Its one thing seeing a transaction...but all you can do is just stare at your coins you once owned... :'(