Author Topic: I forgot my Litecoin-qt Wallet password (windows)  (Read 3964 times)

Offline cooliobongo

I forgot my Litecoin-qt Wallet password (windows)
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:03:39 AM »
Additional info:

I encrypted my wallet, then put a password.
Some days later, i forgot my password and so my wallet is now useless...

I searched wallet.dat in C:/Users and c:/program files(x86) (that's where i installed) but it did not find.
I don't have anything in interest in %appdata%/litecoin

I deleted c:/program files(x86)/litecoin
then reinstalled,
but i didn't lose any data and my wallet is still there password-protected.

I want my thingie to forget about that wallet as there is no password recovery options.

Thx for reading!

Lastest update:
Just remove all traces of litecoin from your PC and try again....IE: Everything in %APPDATA% relating to Litecoin (folders and all) and then remove your other (main program) Litecoin folder- then download and re-install...If that doesn't work try on another PC as it's obviously system related and not Litecoin related....

Hi this OP, since last time, i experimented a bit.

When i install Litecoin on C:, it doesn't create wallet.dat in appdata, and my wallet is locked whether it is there or not.
Installing Litecoin on D: gives me a new wallet, and creates a wallet.dat in appdata.

When im installed on D: and i delete wallet.dat from C:'s appdata, my wallet actually is lost, like it's supposed to. Then on next litecoin start it creates a new random wallet.

But no  matter how i install it on the C:, it won't create a wallet.dat
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:26:52 AM by cooliobongo »

Offline UKMark

Re: I forgot my Litecoin-qt Wallet password (windows)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »

I don't have anything in interest in %appdata%/litecoin

Its:
Code: [Select]
%APPDATA%\Litecoin\Note the trailing slash!
This is where your wallet.dat WILL be... If you cant see it then you need to enable "Show Hidden Files/Folders" & Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
If you are unsure then here is a simple 'How To' :
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

BTC = 1AmYBJ9vzeTWJebrg8wkh8sRh7Rc2TvgyB
LTC = LhcW62pTvAudYSxsAfGRDwGSJEJj1dummG
FTC = 6f4n2UGCd5NcV5r3SnNeEnub7ZhkANcRjT
There's an app a bash for that!
LiteCalc @ Google Play

Offline Someguy123

• Administrator
  • Donator
  • Owner and operator of explorer.litecoin.net
    • Litecoin Block Explorer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:41:13 PM »
Your wallet SHOULD be in %appdata%\Litecoin on windows. If you're wanting to remove that wallet, CLOSE LITECOIN, then in that folder you should see a file called wallet or wallet.dat - simply rename it, as in the future you might remember your password.
LTC: LYmpJZm1WrP5FSnxwkV2TTo5SkAF4Eha31
Administrator of LTC Forum | I run LTC Block Explorer | Someguy123 Web Development

Offline cooliobongo

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 05:14:28 PM »
Its:
Code: [Select]
%APPDATA%\Litecoin\Note the trailing slash!
This is where your wallet.dat WILL be... If you cant see it then you need to enable "Show Hidden Files/Folders" & Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
If you are unsure then here is a simple 'How To' :
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

Thx for the reply, i already had show hidden files, and in the screenshot you can see where %appdata%\litecoin brings me and what there is inside the folder in w7.
Your wallet SHOULD be in %appdata%\Litecoin on windows. If you're wanting to remove that wallet, CLOSE LITECOIN, then in that folder you should see a file called wallet or wallet.dat - simply rename it, as in the future you might remember your password.
Thx for the reply, i didn't find the wallet.dat, but in the past i exported my wallet. I deleted that wallet i created when the client was closed, but when i re-opened the client the wallet is still encrypted.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:22:34 PM by cooliobongo »

Offline cooliobongo

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 07:37:49 PM »
My issue is not resolved with the replies i got.

Offline cooliobongo

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:58:07 PM »
bump

Offline UKMark

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 11:59:07 PM »
Just remove all traces of litecoin from your PC and try again....IE: Everything in %APPDATA% relating to Litecoin (folders and all) and then remove your other (main program) Litecoin folder- then download and re-install...If that doesn't work try on another PC as it's obviously system related and not Litecoin related....
BTC = 1AmYBJ9vzeTWJebrg8wkh8sRh7Rc2TvgyB
LTC = LhcW62pTvAudYSxsAfGRDwGSJEJj1dummG
FTC = 6f4n2UGCd5NcV5r3SnNeEnub7ZhkANcRjT
There's an app a bash for that!
LiteCalc @ Google Play

Offline edwinnoi80

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 03:02:54 PM »
Hi guy , really need your help, i forget passphrase (im using litecoin-QT) , anyway for me to reset it?

Offline Maks

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 11:04:56 AM »
No. You forgot it - you lost it. Try to remember - may be the only way... If anyone could simply "restore" pass by asking for help without knowing it it would be useless?

Offline cooliobongo

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 03:15:31 AM »

Hi this OP, since last time, i experimented a bit.

When i install Litecoin on C:, it doesn't create wallet.dat in appdata, and my wallet is locked whether it is there or not.
Installing Litecoin on D: gives me a new wallet, and creates a wallet.dat in appdata.

When im installed on D: and i delete wallet.dat from C:'s appdata, my wallet actually is lost, like it's supposed to. Then on next litecoin start it creates a new random wallet.

But no  matter how i install it on the C:, it won't create a wallet.dat
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:26:42 AM by cooliobongo »

Offline Daegalus

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 03:44:19 AM »
My suggestion is check all the Data locations to see if you can find it. I'll list a few off the top of my head.

C:\ProgramData\
C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\
C:\Users\*\AppData\LocalLow\
C:\Users\*\

Check all the users in Users.

But my best guess it its in ProgramData for some reason.
LTC: LSr57oSMDKgEUGrg3bhu2CKLq1sZKxaWTq
BTC: 1Jv5aWLxnfubXrrdAod73Yn1QtWEcSWkVA
FC: 6fLd1H1hUs6W6n1MGfrizhZS3HKv7fVSQ4

Offline cooliobongo

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 05:51:29 PM »
My suggestion is check all the Data locations to see if you can find it. I'll list a few off the top of my head.

C:\ProgramData\
C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\
C:\Users\*\AppData\LocalLow\
C:\Users\*\

Check all the users in Users.

But my best guess it its in ProgramData for some reason.
Today i searched on the entire C: where there is a wallet.dat, and it only found on in my appdata/roaming, and it was put there by the installation on the D:
Anyways i'm done with this thread.

Offline loveltc

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
Hi LTCtalk users,

A short message to notify you that you can now download a free tool that will bruteforce your wallet password in case you lost it… Of course, you can run this soft at home so this is totally secure instead of sending your wallet to someone else… Nevermind : the name of this litecoin, nova coin, ppc and bitcoin wallet password recovery is Recoinvery, available on Recoinvery.com

You can add additional information if you remember some part of your password/passphrase.

This helped me, let us know if it worked for you too !

Offline ddink7

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 10:50:13 PM »
Hi LTCtalk users,

A short message to notify you that you can now download a free tool that will bruteforce your wallet password in case you lost it… Of course, you can run this soft at home so this is totally secure instead of sending your wallet to someone else… Nevermind : the name of this litecoin, nova coin, ppc and bitcoin wallet password recovery is Recoinvery, available on Recoinvery.com

You can add additional information if you remember some part of your password/passphrase.

This helped me, let us know if it worked for you too !

Litecoin-qt uses 256 bit AES encryption...it would take several trillion years to brute force.

EDIT: Nevermind, he's not cracking the private key, just your password. Interesting service, and apparently quite viable if you remember part of your password.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:56:30 PM by ddink7 »