Author Topic: Building Litecoin Mining Rig 1.8 Mhash/s - 2.2 Mhash/s Journal + Setup  (Read 32638 times)

Offline cal97g

I know I don't have many posts here but I have spent some time getting a 6 card rig going as well as a 3x 7950 rig and I would check to make sure you aren't plugging the third card into the same rail you already have a card on (assuming the antec has multiple rails, which I think it does because I have the 1200 watt version running in my 6 card rig)

Hope that help.

P.s. sorry about the horrible formatting I'm posting from a cell phone haha

Doh. My PSU has 4 rails. I bet that's my problem.

How do I make sure I'm plugged into different 'rails' ?

Mark

You don't, make sure the power cables for the GPU's are plugged into the right place.. Don't mix and match, it'll void your warranty.

Look for a PSU with maybe 2 rails, 1 rail is also fine. 1 rail is probably preferable here.

Offline Markymark

OK, I checked the manual for my Antec 850 and sure enough the rails are marked. I had all 3 cards plugged into the same rail.

I just switched them so they are all on different rails and I am now up and running with 3 cards.

@Drew, since our machines are virtually identical, I can bet that your problem and mine are the same. Check the manual that came with your PSU and I bet you can get up and running today also.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Time to build machine #2 :-)

Offline davedj79

Can those of you with 2/3 cards in please post pictures of card installation?  Would be a real help to us newbies!

Reading with interest the seperate rails on PSU.  If you only have 2 rails, can you only have 2 cards?  I have a Corsair AX850 PSU, looking to use with 3 x Sapphire HD 7950 if possible?  I believe others have managed it?  I'm concerned about where on the Gigabyte motherboard to connect 3 of them or if I need to mount the 3rd somewhere else in the case.  If so any pointers as to where and how please?  I'm working with the same spec machine as Drew except a different CPU and PSU.

Offline hoplouie

I have three gigabyte 7950's on a Mobo GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5. They're powered by the Corsair 1200AX PSU and installed in a Lian Li open air test bench. The GPU's were razor close to each other didn't allow for good ventillation. Temps of GPU 1 hovered in the mid 90's. The solution  was to spread them out. I should have bought 1500-1600 PSU because I'm seriously contemplating a 4th GPU. I believe in having adequate power and never 'try to get by' with 'good-enough' PSU's

Can those of you with 2/3 cards in please post pictures of card installation?  Would be a real help to us newbies!

Reading with interest the seperate rails on PSU.  If you only have 2 rails, can you only have 2 cards?  I have a Corsair AX850 PSU, looking to use with 3 x Sapphire HD 7950 if possible?  I believe others have managed it?  I'm concerned about where on the Gigabyte motherboard to connect 3 of them or if I need to mount the 3rd somewhere else in the case.  If so any pointers as to where and how please?  I'm working with the same spec machine as Drew except a different CPU and PSU.
LTC: LZ4RhTNpVo1ewRc7bEozR2ADXJ86MbGC4d     WDC: Wd6ijHATBUqbENXepdQSrMxHZdoyGpN9Qm

BTC: 1EV7VyrgoAu7ZUkEJ9Y56hkANxn65iCRmT

Offline randomdef

I thought I'd post in here. I have a working 7950 3x setup with a 5800K on a F285X Asus board running on STOCK volts on a 700w power supply. When overvolted and running at 1200/1400 they also worked fine, but overheated (I don't have the risers yet)

I have no issues with power on a simple 700w.

Everyone that tells you its power or the PSU might just be wrong, as sometimes it's something else (in my case, i was using the APU along with the cards, which was a problem).

Offline drew

So hello all, sorry for the long pause but i got really busing trying to get my rig to work (and it does!!!)

The first thing i did was to exchange the PSU with a new Antec 1200 , it looks like the crashes ware due tot the Sapphire 7959 boost edition that has dual bios and 2 different core clocks, when they kick in the power drain is bigger ..therefore the shutdown.

After that came the temperature / driver stability issue, it was fixed by lowering the core clock to the non boosted value and undervolting the cards (0.962v) in addition i bought a small fan and placed it right next to the cards.

I tested many voltate / core clock / memory clock configs, the most i managed to get 1.9 Mhash but temperatures ware skyrocketing - to fix this i ordered risers, now i am running at a stable 1.5 Mhash - temperatures are now at a stable 70c.  I look forward to get the risers to push the overclock up to 2.0 Mhash and i am thinking about adding the 4th card to the setup.

Here you have some pics:

Offline davedj79

Wow thanks for the pics everyone!

Drew, what kind of Temps are your cards running at.  I currently have 2 cards in and running around 68 degrees each at 540 khash.  When they are in the two 16 lci slots, the temp of the top card sores to the 90+ degrees.  I take it that's not good or sustainable so not put the 3rd card in until I come up with a solution.  What are the risers you're ordering?

Offline hoplouie

Hey drew,
we're kinda running the same components.
I have a thread about gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 and possible issues with setting up a 4th card.
some say a little wiring trick will do the deal while others say it will work fine as is.

check it out:
GA-990FXA-UD5?
LTC: LZ4RhTNpVo1ewRc7bEozR2ADXJ86MbGC4d     WDC: Wd6ijHATBUqbENXepdQSrMxHZdoyGpN9Qm

BTC: 1EV7VyrgoAu7ZUkEJ9Y56hkANxn65iCRmT

Offline bingham34

I have a 3x7950 running the sapphire reference cards and at stock voltages they are pulling a little over 800 watts at the wall (sempron, hdd) and undervolted about 650. Numbers are from a kill-a-watt

Offline seocrow

• Just Another Day Mining
    • Lite Coins Blog
Im running 2 x 7950's for my First Rig. I will be building a 2nd Rig next week this time using a test bench case to double my hash rate. The rig pulls a max of approximately 600watts but normally runs just over 500 watts.

My Rig is  currently pulling between 1000kh/s and 1300kh/s. GPU 0 appears to run 10c hotter than GPU1 at 81c but I am fairly comfortable with this temp. Just won't allow it to run any hotter.  One tip for you all. If the temp of one of your GPU's is too high then set your powertune setting to a minus value like -10 and you will see the temp drop down. Better to lose a bit of speed than burn the GPU.

Kit List is as follows for my Rig:

2 x Sapphire AMD HD7950 Flex OC Graphics Card – 3GB (GPU’s) -  HD7950?s are good for mining as they are relatively low power consumption but high hash rate

Cool Master RC-902XB-KKN1 HAF XB CASE – This is an awesome case. It has plenty of room for the GPU’s and has plenty of air cooling

Sandisk 64GB SSD – Solid State Drive – SDSSDP-064G-G25 – A fast 64Gb hard disk that is plenty of space for the OS

CORSAIR 850W CMPSU-850AXUK - A top end PSU that will easily power both GPU’s with spare wattage left over. Modular design means tidier cables

16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance, PC3-12800 (1600),Non-ECC Unbuffered - 16Gb Memory (overkill but I may use one stick when I build a 2nd mining rig)

AMD Sempron 190 Dual Core Processor - Low wattage CPU ( Only 45 watts )

MSI 990FXA-GD65 AMD 990FX MoBo - Motherboard that will support 2 x PCI-e 16 Cards as well as supporting crossfire

Noctua NH-U9B SE2 Dual Fan – Fan to cool down CPU. Better than stock CPU fan with quieter fan.

Arctic Silver5 THERMAL PASTE – For application to CPU

ScanFX TIM Cleaner – For CPU in case I need to re-apply thermal paste

2 x FDesign FD-FAN-SSR2-120 120 R2 – Quiet Fans for PC case to replace stock fans

200mm CMaster MegaFlow BlueLED – Quiet Fan for PC case. Case does not include 200mm fan.

Energy Plug Meter – To measure wattage that Mining Rig is drawing from the mains. This allows me to work out energy costs so I can project profits.

LTC  - Lgwc4w4fdBoRFVw9E2J8vdyjLQtkmDPuwL 
litecoinsblog.com
Litecoinp2pool.com
Linux Rigs | Crypto Cables

Offline jmfg187

Im running 2 x 7950's for my First Rig. I will be building a 2nd Rig next week this time using a test bench case to double my hash rate. The rig pulls a max of approximately 600watts but normally runs just over 500 watts.

My Rig is  currently pulling between 1000kh/s and 1300kh/s. GPU 0 appears to run 10c hotter than GPU1 at 81c but I am fairly comfortable with this temp. Just won't allow it to run any hotter.  One tip for you all. If the temp of one of your GPU's is too high then set your powertune setting to a minus value like -10 and you will see the temp drop down. Better to lose a bit of speed than burn the GPU.

2 x Sapphire AMD HD7950 Flex OC Graphics Card – 3GB (GPU’s) -  HD7950?s are good for mining as they are relatively low power consumption but high hash rate

Cool Master RC-902XB-KKN1 HAF XB CASE – This is an awesome case. It has plenty of room for the GPU’s and has plenty of air cooling

Sandisk 64GB SSD – Solid State Drive – SDSSDP-064G-G25 – A fast 64Gb hard disk that is plenty of space for the OS

CORSAIR 850W CMPSU-850AXUK - A top end PSU that will easily power both GPU’s with spare wattage left over. Modular design means tidier cables

16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance, PC3-12800 (1600),Non-ECC Unbuffered - 16Gb Memory (overkill but I may use one stick when I build a 2nd mining rig)

MSI 990FXA-GD65 AMD 990FX MoBo - Motherboard that will support 2 x PCI-e 16 Cards as well as supporting crossfire

Noctua NH-U9B SE2 Dual Fan – Fan to cool down CPU. Better than stock CPU fan with quieter fan.

2 x FDesign FD-FAN-SSR2-120 120 R2 – Quiet Fans for PC case to replace stock fans

200mm CMaster MegaFlow BlueLED – Quiet Fan for PC case. Case does not include 200mm fan.

Energy Plug Meter – To measure wattage that Mining Rig is drawing from the mains. This allows me to work out energy costs so I can project profits.

Awesome man, I really like that case been thinking about picking one up myself. Just wanted to let you know that unless you are also gaming with that rig then you do not need the Crossfire cables at all, I think I even read that crossfire can slow down mining slightly not sure though just wanted to give you a heads up.
BTC: 17nmAJ5N2fKMTGymAarp4DUPXjHkohacXQ  LTC: LUzmyjMuVWyU9coa7iEQYgGWKDBKRsiLmo  NVC: 4Pby77nChLzU2rsi2RsLpM8C95dKF5XTbg  FC: 6nKefP46bnT3P1XP9jaEugYd84UdW4zrL3

Offline bmoconno

Thanks Drew!

This is an exceptionally informative post, and I love the way you set it up.  Thanks for being forward thinking and helping out the community.  I hope your rig is running strong and starting to pay for itself.

Thanks again!

Offline seocrow

• Just Another Day Mining
    • Lite Coins Blog

Awesome man, I really like that case been thinking about picking one up myself. Just wanted to let you know that unless you are also gaming with that rig then you do not need the Crossfire cables at all, I think I even read that crossfire can slow down mining slightly not sure though just wanted to give you a heads up.

Yes its an awesome case and you are right about Cross Fire. I only plugged them in so I wouldn't lose the cables (in case one day I recycle as a gaming machine). Cross Fire is disabled in the OS. I don't think connecting the cables in itself causes any loss of kh/s.
LTC  - Lgwc4w4fdBoRFVw9E2J8vdyjLQtkmDPuwL 
litecoinsblog.com
Litecoinp2pool.com
Linux Rigs | Crypto Cables

Offline davedj79

Hey drew,
we're kinda running the same components.
I have a thread about gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 and possible issues with setting up a 4th card.
some say a little wiring trick will do the deal while others say it will work fine as is.

check it out:
GA-990FXA-UD5?

Hi there, could you repost this link for 4 cards on this motherboard, the link doesn't work.  Anyone managed it yet?

Drew, have your risers arrived yet, running 3 or 4 cards?  Can you share some insight into how and what kind of numbers / temps you're getting?

Offline pengo

I'm another owner of the coolermaster, tho make sure you select a decent mobo. Unfortunately the one I selected I thought I could run 3 gpus on it, but due to the size of the Sapphire 7950s cooling and layout of the mobos PCI-E slots its not possible.

After researching that gigabyte board you guys use I rekon would do the trick as you could go GPU-space-GPU-space-GPU which even with the bulky sapphires, would allow sufficient space for decent cooling. Also if you pair the mobo up with the Antec Skeleton case you should be onto a winner, since the antec case is open-air with a big fan up top.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:39:28 AM by pengo »