Author Topic: Is NVidia GPU and Intel CPU Useless For Mining?  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Zombifreak

Is NVidia GPU and Intel CPU Useless For Mining?
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:45:27 PM »
Hello, I posted on the litecoin subreddit a few days ago saying that reaper would not work for me, and someone said that it was pointless in mining with an NVidia and Intel system. For clarity, I have a GTX 670, 16 GB of RAM, and a Quad Core 3.2ghz Processor. I use my computer a bit for gaming since it is very powerful but I usually just leave it on for 12 hours a day while I browse the internet, so my electricity bill won't change from this. Please answer my subject question or please give me advice!  ;)

Start mining with your Gridseed asic tomorrow!
For all your mining needs - Hash Master Technology. Over 10,000 units sold.
Take a look around at Hash-Master.com!

Offline MikeyNick

Re: Is NVidia GPU and Intel CPU Useless For Mining?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:53:24 PM »
Your electricity bill would change, since browsing the internet does not put your card at full load. Just to give you an idea, my 660Ti rig drew 140ish watts when idling (i.e. browsing internet, very light usage) and up to 320ish if i remember correctly when mining. At least where I live, that's almost 2 cents more per hour

With the 660Ti, I was able to get about 55kh/s, so you could probably pull a little more from the 670. I'd say if you have free energy, you might as well, but otherwise the earnings after energy cost would probably not be worth it.

Do what I did: sell your nvidia and buy a radeon (i went from 660ti (55kh) to 7950 (500kh, could go higher but i'm hitting temperature issues))
LTC: LTtNH6AHv71epeiUJTLJdp298UrQbmm3va

Offline Zombifreak

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:55:54 PM »
Your electricity bill would change, since browsing the internet does not put your card at full load. Just to give you an idea, my 660Ti rig drew 140ish watts when idling (i.e. browsing internet, very light usage) and up to 320ish if i remember correctly when mining. At least where I live, that's almost 2 cents more per hour

With the 660Ti, I was able to get about 55kh/s, so you could probably pull a little more from the 670. I'd say if you have free energy, you might as well, but otherwise the earnings after energy cost would probably not be worth it.

Do what I did: sell your nvidia and buy a radeon (i went from 660ti (55kh) to 7950 (500kh, could go higher but i'm hitting temperature issues))

Thanks for the advice, I'm not completely interested in selling my (new) GTX since I still do game, but maybe if I can mine some litecoins I could get a radeon.

I'm trying to set up reaper again right now, the last time I did it, reaper would crash right when I started it and then it would crash my display drivers, so I hope to somehow fix this.  :'(

Offline shyliar

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 07:57:27 PM »
Let's see....if you had mined with that card for the past year...and in the last month the price jumped from 0.06 to 5.80 how much money would you have made? Lots. Go ahead and mine; although once your hooked you might find yourself buying a card designed for mining.

Was the pool you were trying to mine on using Stratum? I'm not sure if that works with reaper (reaper users if I'm wrong please tell op) without a proxy. Try to connecting to Burnsides or NuKings which use's different protocol.
Please support the Litecoin Dev team here https://litecointalk.org/index.php/topic,3874.0.html

Offline Zombifreak

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:04:49 PM »
Let's see....if you had mined with that card for the past year...and in the last month the price jumped from 0.06 to 5.80 how much money would you have made? Lots. Go ahead and mine; although once your hooked you might find yourself buying a card designed for mining.

Was the pool you were trying to mine on using Stratum? I'm not sure if that works with reaper (reaper users if I'm wrong please tell op) without a proxy. Try to connecting to Burnsides or NuKings which use's different protocol.

I was trying to solo mine, I just right now read this guide: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83371.0

and I retraced my steps and this time reaper no longer crashes, however I get this error: http://i.imgur.com/M4yHAv5.png    :-\

Offline Zombifreak

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:06:07 PM »
I was trying to solo mine, I just right now read this guide: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83371.0

and I retraced my steps and this time reaper no longer crashes, however I get this error: http://i.imgur.com/M4yHAv5.png    :-\

I also have another question, do I need to talk to someone to start poolmining with their pool or can I just join it with no permission?

And is it possible for me to just use GUIMiner for GPU solo mining? It seems too easy to set up to bring in good results, but what do I know?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:10:53 PM by Zombifreak »

Offline MikeyNick

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 08:14:43 PM »
You can just join it. www.coinotron.com is my preferred pool so far.

Don't bother solo mining with an nvidia, it is pretty unlikely for you to find a block anytime soon.

I haven't used reaper, but cgminer was not difficult to set up. From what I've heard, reaper seems a little unstable. If you feel like switching to cgminer, i can help you with that.

Offline Zombifreak

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 08:16:10 PM »

Don't bother solo mining with an nvidia, it is pretty unlikely for you to find a block anytime soon.

I haven't used reaper, but cgminer was not difficult to set up. From what I've heard, reaper seems a little unstable. If you feel like switching to cgminer, i can help you with that.

Sure, if you recommend CGminer then I will try it out.

I can't seem to find the download for cgminer, does anyone have the link?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:20:50 PM by Zombifreak »

Offline MikeyNick

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 08:23:47 PM »
Go to http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/ and download the "cgminer-2.11.3-win32.zip" and extract it.

Open notepad++ or notepad, whichever you prefer, and just have this one line in it (this is assuming you will use coinotron, but you can adjust for whatever pool you choose):

cgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3334 -u UserName.1 -p x --shaders 1344 --intensity 11 --worksize 256 --scrypt

Save this file as ***.bat (whatever you feel like calling it, I call mine ltc.bat) inside the folder that cgminer.exe is in.

This is what worked best for me on the 660Ti. Increasing the intensity further just caused desktop lag with no noticeable increase in hashrate.

Now double click the .bat or run it from a command prompt and you should be mining. let me know if you have any issues!

Offline Zombifreak

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 08:25:35 PM »
Go to http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/ and download the "cgminer-2.11.3-win32.zip" and extract it.

Open notepad++ or notepad, whichever you prefer, and just have this one line in it (this is assuming you will use coinotron, but you can adjust for whatever pool you choose):

cgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3334 -u UserName.1 -p x --shaders 1344 --intensity 11 --worksize 256 --scrypt

Save this file as ***.bat (whatever you feel like calling it, I call mine ltc.bat) inside the folder that cgminer.exe is in.

This is what worked best for me on the 660Ti. Increasing the intensity further just caused desktop lag with no noticeable increase in hashrate.

Now double click the .bat or run it from a command prompt and you should be mining. let me know if you have any issues!

Thank you, now for the pool part. Am I allowed to just put in that pool IP and whoever is in charge won't kick me out or anything? I signed up for an account on coinotron too.

EDIT: I get this error when I click the bat http://i.imgur.com/VmdCh2O.png
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:29:09 PM by Zombifreak »

Offline shyliar

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 08:33:37 PM »
@MickeyNick from another post I made earlier. I use MSI afterburner to lower my voltages at startup and then have task manger start cgminer a minute later. Some other posters felt it would make a video card unstable. Well mine have  been running all week now and of my 6 7950s not one error.

Well I'm able to overclock both GPU and memory with the lower voltage. I lowered watts by 60 to 70 per card. And reduced temperature significantly which increases the life cycle of my video card. If that doesn't sound appealing suit yourselves.

Here's my stability after 36 hours run time. At 1.049V and memory at 1.524 down from 1.125 and 1.550 on my 7950.

Keep in mind this is also the result of my first attempt at configuring the new version of cgminer. Based on my experiments so far I believe I've maxed out or am close to it for GPU 1 (maybe a slight increase in voltage will allow a faster hash rate there). With GPU 0 and 2 I think I can get another 30 to 60 kh/s. Next weekend when I have some time I'll try pushing them a little further.

I'm very thankful for all the individuals who have made it possible for me to make money out of nothing more than a hobby. The providers of all this open source software have generously made this possible. I support them by donations. Even more so I support them by trying my best to provide accurate and honest information to others. In the spirit of the open source concept.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:40:01 PM by shyliar »
Please support the Litecoin Dev team here https://litecointalk.org/index.php/topic,3874.0.html

Offline DigitalDoom

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »

Agreed! Everything this person says is what I would have told you.

No you don't have to talk to anyone in the pool to join...just set your miner to the address and worker you created in the pool.

One more thing I would recommend...get rid of the Nvidia GPU if you really want to mine. I understand you like gaming and still want to do it and you can...with an AMD card. AMD HD 7850 or better for gaming and mining.

Another option is to keep the Nvidia card for gaming and buy an AMD for mining. I use a 5770 right now for mining and get about 200kH/s, a 7850 could probably do about twice that speed.

BTW...I'm new to this too, that's the only reason I'm mining with a 5770 and a 6450...It's what I had available.

EDIT:
Oh ya.....Don't bother solo mining...you may never see a coin at all going it alone.

Offline DigitalDoom

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparisonThis link is a good place to get mining hardware comparisons. It's a Bitcoin mining comparison, but should still give a good idea of what to use for LTC.

Offline MikeyNick

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »
I'm also new to litecoin. I got into bitcoin mining about a year and a half ago or so, but never stuck with it since at the time they weren't worth much and i did not have competitive enough hardware. The recent boom in bitcoin value got me interested again, and I started with some bitcoin mining, then stumbled upon litecoins. I feel like this is what I missed out on with bitcoins :D

between my new 7950 and old 6870, I'm putting out 840kh/s, which at the current difficulty and exchange rate is about $23/day

If you've got some money laying around, consider the investment. Newegg has the Sapphire 7950 on sale for $290 with a $20 MIR, and it comes with free copies of Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3 (which I plan on selling XD) Even when the difficulty rises again, I should be able to pay off this 7950 within the month (even though I have plans to sell my 660Ti to pay for it). The longer you wait, the more profits you miss out on!

Offline Zombifreak

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 09:00:09 PM »
Can someone please help me with the "not subscribed" error I am having? I copy and pasted the .bat file that MikeyNick sent me.

http://i.imgur.com/VmdCh2O.png