Author Topic: Litecoin update to 0.8.1  (Read 4205 times)

Offline defaced

• CopiaMarket
Re: Litecoin update to 0.8.1
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »
Thank you for your dedication! Where can i see the list of changes?

Offline Guy

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 08:04:26 PM »
so when it comes out
back up wallet.dat
then rewrite whole thing by downloading new link you supply?
then put wallet back, or may even stay in place but back up to be safe?

while in this thread, wonder if anyone can answer this as related

if you say have 5 coins, you save wallet onto memory stick
then you get another 5 coins in wallet, do you just overwrite old file on stick or just save in another folder
any routine people have?

thanks

Offline Turix

• Meow?
    • Syari.net P2Pool
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »
while in this thread, wonder if anyone can answer this as related

then you get another 5 coins in wallet, do you just overwrite old file on stick or just save in another folder
any routine people have?

thanks

Your 'wallet.dat' file doesn't actually contain your coins per-se, it actually contains instructions on how to access specific addresses on the network. The wallet file is basically a set of private keys that map onto addresses, and when you load this in the client will scan the block chain looking for coins that belong to those keys that it can spend.

So long as you haven't added any new addresses since you took the backup you can technically overwrite the wallet file - although taking a backup is always a good idea, just in-case.

For example when you spend a transaction the change is moved into a new address, the client pre-generates some of these (default is ~100 I think), but if you've sent alot of transactions since you made your backup it is entirely possible that those addresses were created after you backed up your wallet. **

** I might be wrong with this example, I'd need to double check to be sure - as it also possible that the same private key could be used to generate the new addresses (hence side stepping the issue)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:29:18 PM by Turix »

Offline Carnth

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Litecoin Association Member
  • Litecoin Association
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 09:11:41 PM »

Turix, everything you said is correct. Even the pre-generated 100 addresses.

I'm going to break this down for beginners.

so when it comes out
back up wallet.dat
then rewrite whole thing by downloading new link you supply?
then put wallet back, or may even stay in place but back up to be safe?

Safest way to upgrade:
  • Shutdown the Litecoin client and wait for it to close completely.
  • Make a copy of your wallet.dat file and save it some place safe. It can be a flash drive, pen drive, thumb stick, or even just a different place on your hard drive.
     Copy the file. Leave the original in the same place.
  • Install new version of the Litecoin client.
  • After the install is complete, load the Litecoin client.
  • The new version reads you existing wallet.dat and blockchain data (so you don't have to download it all again).
  • Done.

any routine people have?

Once you have an address in your Litecoin client, you can give that out to people so they can send you Litecoins.
When you shutdown the Litecoin client, people can still send you coins to your address. All coins are stored in the blockchain.
After you start the Litecoin client again, it reads your wallet.dat file with all of your addresses. It also starts to download... "sync" the part of the blockchain that was missed while the client was offline. While reading in the blockchain, it scans it for any transactions made to your addresses. Once it finds them, they will show up.

For fun, try it!
Give a friend your Litecoin address. Then close your client.
Have them send you a small payment.
Wait an hour and have your friend send another small payment (slightly different amount so you can tell the difference).
Wait additional 10 to 20 minutes, then start the Litecoin client back up.
Watch for your payments to show up as the client is "syncing."
Make sure to send those coins back to your friend.  ;)

Offline Guy

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 11:39:33 PM »
thanks a lot Carnth
really appreciate awesome reply

on the one point, last point I don't think I was clear enough

if I backed up my wallet.dat onto thumbdrive with 5 coins in say

then received another 5 coins and restarted client so synced and was showing and then say my laptop blew up
if i then with another laptop reload a new litecoin wallet and client, then somehow ad new wallet.dat from thumbdrive, it will only show 5 coins? instead of 10

so if I had time before laptop blew up and downloaded wallet.dat for second time
I would have had 2 wallets to choose to upload, one with 5 and the correct with 10?

sorry for hypothetical question, just trying to get head round all scenarios. hopefully will help noobs apart from myself

btw, litecoin is without doubt 2nd kingpin to btc, no other competition for miles
i see great things for ltc and hope more and more awareness will follow, once I buy some more of course!

Offline Malak

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 02:18:15 PM »
Use the whole thing on a flashdrive. You copy the wallet folder to it and then start the client with a -datadir <flashpath> command in a batchfile. I don't have the particulars on this laptop, but search for it...

Also, back up to another flash drive when the client is not running, and once your balance starts to really go up, use even more backup flashdrives.  :-D
LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi

Kamikaze Game: http://litecoinkamikaze.com/ref/8317