Author Topic: Electrum-LTC - Lightweight Litecoin Wallet  (Read 60054 times)

Offline pooler

• Litecoin Dev Team
Electrum-LTC - Lightweight Litecoin Wallet
« on: April 10, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »
Electrum-LTC 2.3.2.2 has been released.
Download it at https://electrum-ltc.org

Original post about the initial beta release follows.

As Warren anticipated a few days ago, I've been working on a port of Electrum for Litecoin.  At least a couple different ports of Electrum have popped up during the last few months, but sadly they all turned up to be unsatisfactory, rushed ports.  This is why Warren asked me to make an entirely new port as functional, clean and maintainable as possible.

After a couple weeks of patching and testing, I think this port is now good enough for public testing. Pretty much all the functionalities of the Bitcoin Electrum should work out of the box, including the plugins for exchange rates, label syncing and QR scans.

Currently Known Bugs:
  • Multi-signature wallets (2FA) are not currently supported as they are still in development upstream.
  • Displaying the details of a transaction does not work. FIXED
  • Creating a transaction sometimes raises a KeyError for 'signatures'. FIXED
  • Restoring a wallet from seed does not work. FIXED
  • Watching-only wallets are not saved properly and cannot be loaded. FIXED
  • Tray icon should be distinguishable from that of the Bitcoin Electrum. FIXED
  • importprivkey breaks with some addresses (#2). FIXED
  • The so-called "lite" (compact) interface is glitchy; sending coins with it is impossible.
  • Creating an offline transaction can fail in certain cases. FIXED
  • Support for litecoin URIs doesn't work. FIXED
  • Wallet passwords cannot be changed (#9). FIXED
  • Sending from imported addresses does not work. FIXED
  • The OS X binary does not run on pre-2011 Macs. FIXED
Possible Enhancements:
  • Does any other exchange provide historical market data via an API like BitcoinVenezuela does?.

Call for Beta Testers

Please remember that this software is to be considered a beta for now, so be extremely careful, and don't use it to handle large amounts. As always, you should keep a backup copy of your wallet.

The dependencies are the same of the Bitcoin Electrum (PyQt4, slowaes, ecdsa), plus the ltc_scrypt module (installable via pip or easy_install), which is the same used by P2Pool. (This module is not strictly required, but if you don't have it installed block verification will be slower by at least two orders of magnitude, as in that case a pure-Python implementation of the scrypt proof-of-work algorithm is used.)

Sources and binaries are available at: https://electrum-ltc.org/

Git repo: https://github.com/pooler/electrum-ltc/

Public Servers

As you may know, Electrum manages to be so fast and lightweight by relying on public servers which handle the most complicated parts of the job. We currently have about ten Electrum servers for Litecoin, but setting up more would help minimizing centralization.
Unfortunately an Electrum server has relatively high requirements, but if you have a server with at least 2 GB RAM and 8 GB free disk space, as well as a bit of experience in Linux system administration, please consider setting one up, as it would make the Litecoin Electrum ecosystem more reliable.
The server software is available here. You will find instructions on how to set it up in the HOWTO.md file. Additional pointers are available here. Feel free to contact me directly on Freenode IRC if you have questions. You will find me in #electrum-ltc.

Announce-only mailing list for server admins: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/electrum-ltc-server

Donations

I have decided not to accept personal donations for this project, but I will be administering a donation fund to thank major contributors. The address is LectrumELqJWMECz7W2iarBpT4VvAPqwAv.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:14:55 PM by pooler »

Offline mmitech

Re: [BETA] Electrum-LTC - Call for Beta Testers + Public Servers
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 01:17:11 AM »
I am trying it, I will report if I find any bug.

Offline mmitech

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 01:45:32 AM »
I first tried it on my windows Box, and run into some issues:

1- when I just start the wallet it hangs and become unresponsive for a minute or so, I use 8-core AMD with 32GB of RAM and SSD disk with windows 8.1 and I am sure it is not an issue with my system... after that everything start working again.

2- when I open the plugins and try to check the price plugin it hangs again but become responsive quickly.

3-when I open the plugins and try to check the bill plugin it hangs and become unresponsive, I waited 10 minutes and that didn't help, I had to end the process but when I start it back it goes to the same page where I were before like I did only minimize it and become unresponsive, I made sure to really end the task and re-try and the same thing happen.

I will try it tomorrow on my Ubuntu box and see if I run to any issue. and later I will look to how to setup a server, I might help out with that as well.

Offline LetUsLook

• Litecoin Association Member
    • LetUsLook
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 09:26:34 AM »
Just let me know if you have the mac version ready so i'll test it.

~ Luc

Offline pooler

• Litecoin Dev Team
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »
I first tried it on my windows Box, and run into some issues:

1- when I just start the wallet it hangs and become unresponsive for a minute or so, I use 8-core AMD with 32GB of RAM and SSD disk with windows 8.1 and I am sure it is not an issue with my system... after that everything start working again.
That's strange. Does that happen every time you start Electrum-LTC?
I wasn't able to reproduce this issue. Anybody else experienced this?

2- when I open the plugins and try to check the price plugin it hangs again but become responsive quickly.
This should now be fixed. While I was there, I also added Bitfinex and OKCoin to the list of exchanges.

3-when I open the plugins and try to check the bill plugin it hangs and become unresponsive, I waited 10 minutes and that didn't help, I had to end the process but when I start it back it goes to the same page where I were before like I did only minimize it and become unresponsive, I made sure to really end the task and re-try and the same thing happen.
I suppose you're referring to the "Point of Sale" plugin? Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce this issue either.
If you got stuck, simply delete the "config" file in %APPDATA%/Electrum-LTC and start over.

Just let me know if you have the mac version ready so i'll test it.
An OS X binary is now available, courtesy of Animazing.

Offline Grinny

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »
i was not able to create a 2FA wallet on windows 7, because the software freezed and then crashed/closed (without an error).
creating a basic wallet works so far.
i love electrum - keep up the great work man :)
Crypto-Trade: Buy & Sell BTC/LTC/DRK/PPC/NMC/BC/... | lower your trading fees down to 0.02% with a payed membership

Offline coinx

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 04:54:46 PM »
Great to see you involved in this.

I am using Windows 8.1 and I couldn't find any bugs and can't confirm mmitech's problems so far.

EDIT:
i was not able to create a 2FA wallet on windows 7, because the software freezed and then crashed/closed (without an error).
Electrum closed the second I clicked next.

Probably a general Electrum thing: When I restart Electrum all invoices are gone. The requested amount is still shown but not the label and I can't get the QR code. If this is on purpose then the request field should also be cleared. I am not able to get a specific invoice after restart. I only get the blank main account pop up.
Furthermore there is not point in showing a blank invoice pop up after Electrum is started.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:24:43 PM by coinx »

Offline pooler

• Litecoin Dev Team
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 05:19:58 PM »

This is to be considered normal for now, as the feature is still in development upstream. Sorry for not mentioning this in the original post.

Offline mmitech

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 05:48:59 PM »
I am about to setup a server, I will post back when I am done.

Edit: I didn't have the chance to try the wallet on my ubuntu box, I think setting up a server is more important at the moment, I will start playing around the wallet later this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:00:23 PM by mmitech »

Offline pooler

• Litecoin Dev Team
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 06:20:45 PM »

I just noticed that the I didn't change the address of the foundry in HOWTO.md, even though the address in the start script was correct. I have now fixed this. Please make sure you didn't download the indexes from the Bitcoin foundry (the correct file is about 1.6 GB, while the Bitcoin one is over 6 GB).

Offline mmitech

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 06:36:41 PM »

I just noticed that the I didn't change the address of the foundry in HOWTO.md, even though the address in the start script was correct. I have now fixed this. Please make sure you didn't download the indexes from the Bitcoin foundry (the correct file is about 1.6 GB, while the Bitcoin one is over 6 GB).

I am still busy setting up the OS  ;D I didn't even get there yet  :)

Offline mmitech

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 07:03:38 PM »
now I have to wait for all blocks to be downloaded...

Offline Anthony85

• Doublecoin
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 07:58:57 PM »
I would love to test it,I got a mac and windows.
PLEASE, DON'T PAY THE FEE OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET!

Offline mmitech

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 08:28:17 PM »
so the server use 443 port ? because I use that port for another server....

ok I will finish the installation first then decide if I get rid of my home server and use it for Electrum server

Offline pooler

• Litecoin Dev Team
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 08:30:27 PM »
so the server use 443 port ? because I use that port for another server....

No, by default the server uses ports 8081, 8082, 50001, and 50002. But you can really use whatever ports you want.