Author Topic: Solo mining Litecoin?? Can't find any good info!  (Read 12702 times)

Offline DigitalDoom

Solo mining Litecoin?? Can't find any good info!
« on: April 10, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »
OK...so I've been searching for a good tutorial for solo mining since pool mining is useless with all of the DDOS attacks killing pools.

I have the GUIminer for LTC, is it possible to solo mine with that? When I try the solo options it automatically opens Bitcoin client.

I tried Vorsholk's AutoSolo thing but seems it doesn't play well with W7.

I just bought a new 7950 yesterday and really would like to try it out, but finding solo mining instructions is like looking for a needle in a hayfield!

Offline bruiser

Re: Solo mining Litecoin?? Can't find any good info!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »
Solominig probably not a good idea with a single 7950. Join a P2Pool. If one of the nodes gets DDoS'd, just jump on another without worries of resetting PPLNS payouts.

Offline DigitalDoom

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »
Solominig probably not a good idea with a single 7950. Join a P2Pool. If one of the nodes gets DDoS'd, just jump on another without worries of resetting PPLNS payouts.
Ya, I know...everyone says it's not a good idea.

I know it's not a good idea.

But until someone can open a pool that they can keep up and running, at least I'll be doing something.

P2P worries me even more than a pool, I can't think of one P2P sharing network that didn't give me a virus. How could anyone trust their coin  in a P2P network?

Besides...I don't mean to be rude, but I didn't ask for advice on whether I should be mining solo or not, I asked if anyone knows where to find good instruction on how to mine solo.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:12:40 PM by DigitalDoom »

Offline DigitalDoom

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »
BTW...I'm not mining with a single 7950....that's just my newest one.

I also have a 5770 and 6450.

All together I'm getting about 1Mh/s.

Now...if I could just figure out how to use it. The only thing I've been able to figure out so far is the GUIminer_Scrypt for pool mining.

Bruiser...if you come back here, it would be nice if you at least explain how to P2P mine.

People are never going to take well to a currency if getting and using it requires sifting through a year's worth of forum threads trying to piece together how it all works..

Offline Carnth

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Litecoin Association Member
  • Litecoin Association
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »
OK...so I've been searching for a good tutorial for solo mining

Try this:
How to Solo Mine on Windows

Offline Carnth

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Litecoin Association
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »
it would be nice if you at least explain how to P2P mine.

There are two Guides on how to P2pool mine in Windows, in the Mining section of the forums, sticked to the top of the section, highlighted in red/orange.

This Guide was written a while ago but has helped many people to get started.

This Guide is more recent and even has screenshot to help you get going.

Also, I have written FAQs about P2pool and why you should or should not use it.

If you need more information, don't be afraid to use that search box at the top right of the page.  ;D

Offline DigitalDoom

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 05:15:53 AM »
Carnth...you are a gem!!

Thank you for providing all of this great and useful information. I can't wait to start digging into it all.

After studying and working on this most of today, I'm finally close to solo mining (I think/hope).

The only thing I'm stuck in the muck on, is getting my miner to connect to the local litecoin-qt host. I've done everything I know of and it just will not connect. It says, "starting......connecting.......(infinity)". No hashrate displayed, no nothing.

If anyone has productive suggestions, I'm very grateful for them....here's where I am now...

Software:
  • Windows 7
  • GUIminer-Scrypt (latest build)
  • miner= cgminer

GPU= HD 5770 (this one I'm just using to test the miner)

litecoin.config file looks like this (local info edited):

rpcuser="username"
rpcpassword="password"
rpcallowip=http://xxx.xxx.x.x
rpcport=9332
daemon=1
server=1
gen=0

block_nTime=1317972665
block_nNonce=2084524493

Then I have my miner set with:

and of course, all of my GPU settings too.

Now...am I wrong in thinking that I can use GUIminer-Scrypt for solo mining? Pretty certain I wouldn't be attempting it unless something I read said it was possible, but we all make mistakes and I've been working on this a long time, so...

I didn't change anything at all inside the GUIminer folders or the cgminer folders inside of it. Is there something I need to adjust in there anywhere?

I would really like to see this running before going to bed tonight.  :-\ 

Offline bruiser

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 06:04:55 AM »

But until someone can open a pool that they can keep up and running, at least I'll be doing something.

P2P worries me even more than a pool, I can't think of one P2P sharing network that didn't give me a virus. How could anyone trust their coin  in a P2P network?

Besides...I don't mean to be rude, but I didn't ask for advice on whether I should be mining solo or not, I asked if anyone knows where to find good instruction on how to mine solo.

Well, fair enough. Good luck with that 1mh/s solo mining.

Offline DigitalDoom

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 11:11:56 AM »

Well, fair enough. Good luck with that 1mh/s solo mining.

Thanks...much appreciated.

Finally got it up and running about 3:30 this morning. Woke up about an hour ago (@ 6) to check and make sure everything was still running and was surprised to see I already found my first block!!  :o

Woohoo!

And they said it couldn't be done!  :P

Seriously though, I know that was a hugely lucky hit...but it was very exciting. 2 hours of sleep and  I'm wide awake now!  ;D

Offline Marzipain

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »
Now I would really switch to pool mining. The odds of getting another block are too little.

Offline Fallout

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »
The odds of getting a block are the same as before. That's called statistics.

Even if 10 coinflips land tail, the next one still is 50/50
BTC: 18b4FuDzMJnaaZK63tm5vLULUGd3YwSLu
LTC: LRr9CTjQxUo4nvW5UMWz2jMwBHJAKLvreR
FTC: 6hMioPvuzexjcNWJHuhqEySTzF3TiWLUBp
BBQ: bQRPD59v1aqvQAM7knuo7CG9QtiamnUjZi

Offline bruiser

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »
^ True. If he's that lucky, hell, keep solo'ing it. I probably would.   8)

Online shyliar

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 02:05:58 PM »
Mining is not a coin (although we mine for a coin  :) ) and the odds are not constant. Difficulty level changes the odds at a given hash rate. What remains (nearly) constant is the number of blocks available in a time period.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:07:53 PM by shyliar »
Please support the Litecoin Dev team here https://litecointalk.org/index.php/topic,3874.0.html

Offline Carnth

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Litecoin Association
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 03:13:30 PM »
Finally got it up and running about 3:30 this morning. Woke up about an hour ago (@ 6) to check and make sure everything was still running and was surprised to see I already found my first block!!  :o

Woohoo!

And they said it couldn't be done!  :P

Seriously though, I know that was a hugely lucky hit...but it was very exciting. 2 hours of sleep and  I'm wide awake now!  ;D

Well, I'm glad I could help. What a nice welcome to Litecoin.

Pic sort-of related:

Offline Fallout

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 04:18:25 PM »
Mining is not a coin (although we mine for a coin  :) ) and the odds are not constant. Difficulty level changes the odds at a given hash rate. What remains (nearly) constant is the number of blocks available in a time period.

That's true, but still the Point stands, it is not getting more unlikely to find a block because you just found one ... which is what marzipain wanted to say, I guess.
BTC: 18b4FuDzMJnaaZK63tm5vLULUGd3YwSLu
LTC: LRr9CTjQxUo4nvW5UMWz2jMwBHJAKLvreR
FTC: 6hMioPvuzexjcNWJHuhqEySTzF3TiWLUBp
BBQ: bQRPD59v1aqvQAM7knuo7CG9QtiamnUjZi