Author Topic: 5 cards - MSI Z77A-GD65 - Anyone using this?  (Read 3107 times)

Offline miningdude

Re: 5 cards - MSI Z77A-GD65 - Anyone using this?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »
Power is definitely the trickiest part of getting this motherboard to run 5+ cards. You can actually run a total of 6 GPU's on this motherboard (see this build guide), but several people have found 5 to be more stable. Be sure to undervolt your cards to keep the power use under the limits of the PSU and as was suggested spread out the power connections between rails. Another variable is the OS you are using. Windows 8 seems to work best with the fewest issues.
Build your own 2x, 4x, or 6x GPU Litecoin mining rig.

Offline nameBrandon

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 02:22:32 PM »
ok, using this image as reference..

the red connector without a black box around it (middle, lower row) is the only card that I am using just the 8-pin connector. The rest of the red pcie connectors are going to cards with 8+6 pin.

Molex connections are coming from middle, furthest right side connection (above #4) and top-left connection (2 above box #3).

The actual molex running to the card adapter are coming from the top-left connection (2 above #3). The middle, furthest right side connection runs the powered risers.

Let me know if that's unclear.. and I hope it helps you avoid the headaches I had!

EDIT - A couple more things.. I am running all x1 risers, except for the first x16 slot, i'm using a x16 riser. All x1 risers are powered, the x16 is not powered. What I refer to as the 'first' x16 is the slot closest to the CPU. All x1 risers are in x1 slots. The only x16 I'm using is that first one, the others are empty.

Also, if you're using BAMT.. gpumon can sometimes take up to a minute to recognize the cards and get going.. it will just show no cards, and the all of a sudden, they kick in and start hashing. I've also had a few times where it will boot up and not show any cards, even after waiting a minute. When that happens, I unplug the power supply cable and let it sit for about a minute, plug it back in and start over.

When it was running 4 cards, it was rock solid. The 5th card and this PSU really cause some strange stuff to happen. It's stable once it's running, but a PITA it get going.

In hindsight, I would've taken my chances with a 1300/1350W PSU like the Rosewill or Antec since they have a single 12V rail. Seems like people have much less trouble with them.

I am only pulling ~1150w at the wall with all 5 cards (0.962v bios / i19 / 1065 / 1175 / lantis' mod'd .bin kernel) and getting stable 650kh's per card.. so power usage is pretty decent with this PSU.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:02:25 PM by nameBrandon »

Offline uzernamezrlame

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 03:29:36 PM »
Thanks! I will give that a shot and let you know my results. I really appreciate your help. I've been trying for months to get this beast to run smoothly (I originally had 6 cards, but they would say SICK or DEAD after a little while, so I decided to move down to 5).

*So, to be clear, which of the red connectors are you not using -with 5 PCI-E cords connected, one of the red connections must be vacant, and I'm just wondering which one it is on your rig?

Also, when yours was not working properly, what was the effect? Mine will stall at started cgminer 3.3.0...

Offline nameBrandon

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »
Thanks! I will give that a shot and let you know my results. I really appreciate your help. I've been trying for months to get this beast to run smoothly (I originally had 6 cards, but they would say SICK or DEAD after a little while, so I decided to move down to 5).

*So, to be clear, which of the red connectors are you not using -with 5 PCI-E cords connected, one of the red connections must be vacant, and I'm just wondering which one it is on your rig?

Also, when yours was not working properly, what was the effect? Mine will stall at started cgminer 3.3.0...

No problem.. no red pcie slots are empty, the bottom right one is going to the motherboard (the connection in front of the usb/ps-2 connector).

The effect of not working was either running gpumon from ssh shell and never getting to the screen showing the hash rates (run gpumon and get a blank line afterwards and the nothing), or gpumon will load and I'll either only see 4 cards, or no cards.

It's a bit tricky as sometimes gpumon can take 20-30 seconds to switch over to the screen where it shows the rates. I found that out after a number of times where I just assumed it wasn't working, when in actuality I just needed to wait.

For now, if I boot up the box, ssh in and run gpumon, I give it at least 60 seconds (usually 90) before I call it a failed boot up. I've had plenty of times where gpumon will give me 5-7 sets of 0.00kh/s and then it will kick in and start hashing (somtimes the cards don't even register in gpumon until it starts hashing).

When it was running on 5 cards and not stable, I would notice delayed refresh times via the web browser interface. Normally it's snappy, hit refresh and page shows up.. when it's not stable refresh takes 5-10 seconds or longer, then might go back to being snappy, then start lagging again, etc.. That's pretty much my instability indicator.. when that happens I back off the clock speeds. For me any memory clock over 1250 would do it, as well as any core clock over 1075 (again, I'm running the 0.962v bios at i=19 powertune=20).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:05:26 PM by nameBrandon »

Offline uzernamezrlame

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »
Thanks, I gave it a shot (exact same connections you laid out), and unfortunately, my cgminer still hangs at starting cgminer 3.3.0... (I'm using ubuntu 12.01 and cgminer. May try BAMT again to see if I get better results). I ran cgminer with no arguments, just --scrypt, -o and my stratum pool addy (works fine with 4 cards) so I know its not a config issue.

I believe the issue is still PSU related. -I am using 5x Gigabyte Windforce 3 7950 rev.2 and unfortunately the rev 2 card is voltage locked at 1.25v... I flashed the F43 bios (as described here link which should bring them down to 1.09v, but it looks like the power draw is still too high and is overloading one or more rails...

I will see if I can find a way to flash to a lower volt bios or something. Feels like I'm 95% of the way there.

Thanks again for taking the time to describe your setup. Got an LTC address? I haven't mined many due to these reliability issues, but would like to send some along in appreciation of your assistance!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:28:54 PM by uzernamezrlame »

Offline nameBrandon

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »
Sure, thanks! ;) LSYhw1b24Q5NP2twEzTayP7HAwBaq4HJXf

And your sure all five cards do actually work, right.. one isn't bad?

Did you plug that 'empty' red pcie connector/cable into the motherboard by the ps/2 port? Who knows..

I would give BAMT a try and see if that helps. My troubleshooting technique relied on being able to mine.. I would get all 5 plugged in, and it would detect four and start to mine, then I could physically feel the heat on which 4 it was using.. the 5th one is where I started to change out the 6-pin to molex. Apparently which molex it comes from matters as well (I don't think you can split molex connectors for a 6-pin adapter across PSU cables, they need to come from the same cable 'source', if that makes sense). And it appears that even the PSU connector the molex cable is plugged into makes a difference as well.

If you still have trouble with BAMT I would go back to four and rotate risers as well, make sure a riser you're using isn't bad. Perhaps even try different molex power cables? Maybe one that came with  your PSU went bad? I think I had 3 cables with molex adapters in the PSU box.

Sounds like your close, don't give up!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:11:16 PM by nameBrandon »

Offline uzernamezrlame

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 11:00:31 PM »
It's alive!!! IT'S ALIIIIVVVEEE!!!

First to answer your questions, yes I unplugged the 20A connector that was originally connected to the motherboard and instead connected the red PCI-e (bottom right as suggested) to the mobo by the ps/2 port. At that point cgminer was still hanging.

The trick after that was to flick the build in bios switch on my 5th card (it has Bios A and Bios B). I switched back to the stock FT0 bios (1.25v) from the F43 bios (1.09v). When I rebooted all the cards were detected, but they read as OFF, except for one. I got the "Error -5: Enqueueing kernel onto command queue" error, which is one I have gotten in the past when I didn't have dummy plugs connected. Sure enough, one of my jumper resistors (used instead of dummy plug) had come loose. After some careful adjustment, it seemed primed. I rebooted and all 5 of the cards were recognized and running. Right now I am running at 1000/1250 as I know they will run stable at that setting. I will see if it runs for 24 hrs like that and then begin tweaking up my clocks. With the 4 gpus I was able to get ~650 kh per card (one or two will only run stably at 1000/1250, the others can be run at 1100/1250) on 19 intensity and TC 24000.

You're a life saver! (will send the LTC when I get back home).

Offline nameBrandon

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 11:06:11 PM »

First to answer your questions, yes I unplugged the 20A connector that was originally connected to the motherboard and instead connected the red PCI-e (bottom right as suggested) to the mobo by the ps/2 port. At that point cgminer was still hanging.

The trick after that was to flick the build in bios switch on my 5th card (it has Bios A and Bios B). I switched back to the stock FT0 bios (1.25v) from the F43 bios (1.09v). When I rebooted all the cards were detected, but they read as OFF, except for one. I got the "Error -5: Enqueueing kernel onto command queue" error, which is one I have gotten in the past when I didn't have dummy plugs connected. Sure enough, one of my jumper resistors (used instead of dummy plug) had come loose. After some careful adjustment, it seemed primed. I rebooted and all 5 of the cards were recognized and running. Right now I am running at 1000/1250 as I know they will run stable at that setting. I will see if it runs for 24 hrs like that and then begin tweaking up my clocks. With the 4 gpus I was able to get ~650 kh per card (one or two will only run stably at 1000/1250, the others can be run at 1100/1250) on 19 intensity and TC 24000.

Congrats man! So happy you got it working!

I think only the people who've lived through it can appreciate the frustrations and struggles.. I remember when I first saw 5 cards I was so excited! I had spent a whole week+ trying to get it working, driving my wife crazy, holed up in the extra bedroom banging my head against the wall, ordering extra risers to swap out, etc..

Yay for persistence!

Offline GrimVandal

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »
The Lepa 1600w can NOT run more than 4 cards safely !!!

As soon as you use one 12v rail for two 7950, that 12v rail runs at OVERCURRENT.

12v * 30A = max 360 watt but  2x 7950 = 440 watt!

This PSU is a stinking pile of shit!

Offline networkgeek24

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 11:52:56 AM »
The Lepa 1600w can NOT run more than 4 cards safely !!!

As soon as you use one 12v rail for two 7950, that 12v rail runs at OVERCURRENT.

12v * 30A = max 360 watt but  2x 7950 = 440 watt!

This PSU is a stinking pile of shit!

This is why you split the 5th card, each connector on a different rail. I do a slightly different setup than what is posted here, but I'm able to distribute the load without going over the specs.

The Lepa 1600w can absolutely run 5 cards safely. It is quite a nice PSU if you spend the time to figure out how to distribute the load properly.
LTC: LgHq2AHFLyQVVtwWfRrKiAjKFRt3pyWvwo
BTC: 19esgbwgze2xWJWCfmJVjcnSggxqNNYMpC

Offline kentt

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »

I think only the people who've lived through it can appreciate the frustrations and struggles.. I remember when I first saw 5 cards I was so excited! I had spent a whole week+ trying to get it working, driving my wife crazy, holed up in the extra bedroom banging my head against the wall, ordering extra risers to swap out, etc..

Yay for persistence!
I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I'll be attempting to add the 7th card to gd55 tonight.

Offline nameBrandon

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 03:54:14 PM »

Yay for persistence!
I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I'll be attempting to add the 7th card to gd55 tonight.

May the scwartz be with you..

Offline uzernamezrlame

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 05:13:32 AM »
sent you a couple LTC to say thanks for the help!

Unfortunately my 5 card setup stopped functioning a couple of hours after I posted. Right now there seems to be an issue with the 5th GPU, so I am using a different one. Running the rig on four GPUs overnight before adding the new 5th one. I will post my results after I add back the new 5th one.

I'm thinking if power remains an issue, I might purchase a second psu and connect it to provide power to the 5th gpu.

networkgeek24, I'd be interested to hear how you have divided up the power on the LEPA 1600 if you don't mind sharing. I suspect I may not have an optimized distribution of load on the rails. If you don't mind letting us know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline networkgeek24

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 12:59:55 PM »

Looking at this image of the LEPA 1600 modular outputs, this is how I wire my 7950 GPUs up in a 5 card system:

Card 1: 12v3 (top left red)
Card 2: 12v4 (top center red)
Card 3: 12v5 (bottom center red)
Card 4: 12v6 (top right red)
Card 5: I plug 1 connector of the GPU, usually 8 pin, to 12v5 (bottom right red) and the other, usually 6 pin, to 12v6 using molex-6pin adapter (middle/bottom right black).

All other powered items I put on the 12v4 black connectors such as hard drive and powered risers.

Hope this helps.
LTC: LgHq2AHFLyQVVtwWfRrKiAjKFRt3pyWvwo
BTC: 19esgbwgze2xWJWCfmJVjcnSggxqNNYMpC

Offline nameBrandon

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 01:19:11 PM »

Looking at this image of the LEPA 1600 modular outputs, this is how I wire my 7950 GPUs up in a 5 card system:

Card 1: 12v3 (top left red)
Card 2: 12v4 (top center red)
Card 3: 12v5 (bottom center red)
Card 4: 12v6 (top right red)
Card 5: I plug 1 connector of the GPU, usually 8 pin, to 12v5 (bottom right red) and the other, usually 6 pin, to 12v6 using molex-6pin adapter (middle/bottom right black).

All other powered items I put on the 12v4 black connectors such as hard drive and powered risers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing that! This is truly one finicky power supply. I've got a 560w gold laying around, if this thing starts to give me any trouble I may just go to 2 PSU's.