Author Topic: How do you open a Litecoin account?  (Read 12155 times)

Offline ProfessorG

How do you open a Litecoin account?
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:02:23 AM »
So how does this work?

Edit by Mushroomized.

You bring an interesting point.

-Download the Litecoin(LTC) software at http://litecoin.org/
-Install it.
-When you open it the first time, it's going to take a while. You are downloading the blockchain (the blockchain is the whole transaction history). You need it first, so let it run. After that, it's going to stay updated automatically. If you close the software, when you open it back, you will need to download the new part of the blockchain. Don't worry, what you already downloaded is kept on your computer.
-When the blockchain download is done, you're ready to go. If you want to buy LTC with USD, go to BTC-e.com and follow their instructions. Do all the steps, and you're going to receive Litecoins in your wallet.

If you want, I can send you 1 Litecoin, so you can try with it. Copy me your Litecoin address this way:
-Open the Litecoin software
-Go to receive coin
-Copy the receiving address.

*DON'T DELETE/FORMAT YOUR WALLET FILE. Crypto-currencies can be deleted, plain and simple. And no, you're not getting them back once deleted. To find your wallet file, search for "wallet.dat" on your computer if you want to make a backup.

*PUT A PASSWORD ON YOUR WALLET. If somebody access your computer, he can transfer your Litecoins where he wants (in other words, steal your money). There's no chargeback, when it's gone, it's gone, believe me.

Hope it helps you.

I think this will help a lot of new people, so I've stickied this. Thanks for the great explanation from Brun  :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:33:29 PM by Mushroomized »

New Zeus Lightning 72 Mh/s = $0.138 Kh/s ASICPlus coming soon
New Gridseed Blade 5.2 Mh/s = $0.325 Kh/s ASICPLlusShipping 5/31/2014 from USA
NEED MORE? Paid advertisement by ASICPlus.com

Offline ProfessorG

Re: How do you open a Litecoin account?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 05:05:58 AM »
 :)

Offline Chaang-Noi (Goat)

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:59:19 AM »
you mine or buy at btc-e.com

www.litecoin.org

Offline HauntingShade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »
Where? You already created a Litecoin Forum account, so that won't be your problem!

If you mean a 'bank account'... You need to download the litecoin client, install it, start it and your account will be the wallet.dat file. This file is your wallet, or as you name it, account. If somebody copies this wallet.dat file, they can transfer the money to themselves. So make sure you don't post it on the internet if you have money in it!

Good luck!  ;)
Slamming scammers 24/7

Offline ProfessorG

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:06:50 PM »
where do you download the wallet from? and how do you buy these? just looked at btc-e.com and it seems to be for BTC

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 02:10:17 PM »
www.litecoin.org

btc-e.com

you have all the info you need :/

Offline ProfessorG

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »
yes but it doesn't have a step by step how do do it manual

Only thing I think I am interested in is having a place to put these and not to mine. What is the value of a LTC Less than a penny or .07???

Think it might be more people do it if it was not seeming so intimidating

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 04:02:42 PM »
Lol I can't remove posts, but yeah the one under this is better.

I would just add if you do encrypt it, copy it again after you encrypt it.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:11:01 AM by Chaang-Noi (Goat) »

Offline Brun

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 08:04:01 PM »
yes but it doesn't have a step by step how do do it manual

Only thing I think I am interested in is having a place to put these and not to mine. What is the value of a LTC Less than a penny or .07???

Think it might be more people do it if it was not seeming so intimidating

You bring an interesting point.

-Download the Litecoin(LTC) software at http://litecoin.org/
-Install it.
-When you open it the first time, it's going to take a while. You are downloading the blockchain (the blockchain is the whole transaction history). You need it first, so let it run. After that, it's going to stay updated automatically. If you close the software, when you open it back, you will need to download the new part of the blockchain. Don't worry, what you already downloaded is kept on your computer.
-When the blockchain download is done, you're ready to go. If you want to buy LTC with USD, go to BTC-e.com and follow their instructions. Do all the steps, and you're going to receive Litecoins in your wallet.

If you want, I can send you 1 Litecoin, so you can try with it. Copy me your Litecoin address this way:
-Open the Litecoin software
-Go to receive coin
-Copy the receiving address.

*DON'T DELETE/FORMAT YOUR WALLET FILE. Crypto-currencies can be deleted, plain and simple. And no, you're not getting them back once deleted. To find your wallet file, search for "wallet.dat" on your computer if you want to make a backup.

*PUT A PASSWORD ON YOUR WALLET. If somebody access your computer, he can transfer your Litecoins where he wants (in other words, steal your money). There's no chargeback, when it's gone, it's gone, believe me.

Hope it helps you.

Offline Arbitrageur

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 08:59:30 PM »
let's make a try, I downloaded the client today... here's my address: LeMhBQ1Rbk1K4rBy7xDe6UnkFjA2chCsg5
thanks.

Offline allthingsluxury

• allthingsluxury.biz
    • All Things Luxury
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 12:34:03 AM »
Download the client, simple as that :)

Offline ZyPhReX

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 06:57:03 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated. 
“Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.”

- Plato

Offline hoplouie

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »
1st time user, first time post.
I downloaded 'Litecoin v0.6.3c for Mac OS X' and also 'electrum-litecoin-0.61-macosx.zip'
I figured out how to bypass the apple warning for downloaded apps. I opened each but closed them afterwards because I wasn't sure which one i was using. So I deleted each app and started over again with just electrum client. Is this right client to use for my Mac?

this app looks simple but i can't tell if this thing is downloading the chain. I click on the 'blue box' button and I get the expanded version. It says in the left corner that it is not connected. I quit the app and restart; this time it i click on the blue square but it doesn't expand. :-\

I feel that quitting and trashing the app two times may have installed some preference files that are tricking the app idk  :(

I looked through my library/application support and I don't see anything that relates to Electrum. Can you guys help?

UPDATE:
the app seems buggy. when I try and expand the window it won't do it. However when I double click the app icon it gives me the expanded version.
when I click on the red network button try the two different servers but I still don't get a network response. it just says 'not connected'

UPDATE2:
okay I went back to 'Litecoin v0.6.3c' and the client is showing progress with the network. the electrum client is a POS.

Let me know if I'm fail boat.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:47:41 PM by hoplouie »
LTC: LZ4RhTNpVo1ewRc7bEozR2ADXJ86MbGC4d     WDC: Wd6ijHATBUqbENXepdQSrMxHZdoyGpN9Qm

BTC: 1EV7VyrgoAu7ZUkEJ9Y56hkANxn65iCRmT

Offline frequentflyer

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 01:57:15 AM »
I have a similar-ish problem: I have the wallet installed on a mac, however, I am unable to connect.  I have tried both of the default servers but it just won't connect.

On the connection dialogue box I am unable to select connection via http and can only use tcp, is this correct or could it be the source of the issue?

I have used B/Cs for over a year so am familiar with the concept of how a wallet works.  Just getting frustrated with this one :)

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Offline litecoinusertomc

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 04:32:12 AM »
i think you're right - i've got a mac and the electrum won't connect to the network - this should be pretty intuitive and the fact that there is hardly any info on any forum or on the network is even worse - i'm going to try the other mac accessible client you mentioned and see how that goes